Supernatural Brownies Recipe - NYT Cooking
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, more for pan and parchment paper
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, such as muscovado
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or 3/4 cup whole walnuts, optional
- Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking pan and line with buttered parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, or on low power in a microwave, melt butter, chocolate and sugars together. Cool slightly. In a large bowl or mixer, whisk eggs. Whisk in salt and vanilla.
- Whisk in chocolate mixture. Fold in flour just until combined. If using chopped walnuts, stir them in. Pour batter into prepared pan. If using whole walnuts, arrange on top of batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until shiny and beginning to crack on top. Cool in pan on rack.