#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 190908
This is our 20th day, our 20th Sunday. Since we only work one day a week it’s also our 20th week.
And it was more of the same. Sort of.
Following the design committee meeting last week, we started off by modifying the right side (the former deep end).
Here’s the before:
It was just…wrong.
It didnt take that long to move a bit of sand, shift the sandbags and pound them flat again.
It looks better, the fish should like it better and we may be putting something big down in that ring later on.
Then we set on laying the 60 bags we filled last week.
Turns out it’s way more efficient to make a bunch one day and then lay them all another day, rather than 6 at a time like we originally did.
(All this great information we’re never going to need after this is over.)
This is what that looks like now.
One or two more courses of sandbags, more back filled sand, and this level is mostly finished.
Then we start on the upper shelf. It will sit on the lower one. It’s 16” high like the first shelf, but only half as wide. More sandbags for the wall face than the lower, because the circumference is longer. But less back filled sand. And this time we’ll have to lift the bags a foot and a half off the ground to get them onto the top of the lower shelf. We’re jumping ahead here. You’ll see.
Right now, the wall stops in that last picture because the left side of the pool (actually behind in that picture) is where we work from. It’s where the sand pile is and where we make the bags. When we do use up all that sand, we’ll be down to the original concrete floor - this was the pool’s ‘shallow end’. Then we’ll continue the two shelves so they ring the entire pool/pond. And then on to the next chapter.