#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 200216
This is last week’s update.
Just as well because this was a lull week due to no liner yet, still bailing, and some poorly timed rain.
We’re happy that there’s no more heavy sand lifting, and even if the liner was here, we’re still bailing.
Made some progress on that front - we can push a stick through the sand down to the bottom - still about 9 inches away.
We finished off the sand pile and reclaimed the driveway for the cars.
Made 25 or 30 sandbags of it just in case.
Eventually the sandbag jig will be taken apart and the tubes turned into fish caves.
We couldn’t paint the rest of the border due to rain.
So we raked down those piles of sand on the grass to fill in some of the ruts.
An easy day that didn’t yield too too many action shots.
Here’s no sand piles on the grass.
Also due to this week’s schedule, we learned a new skill - bailing at night by lantern light.
It’s much the same as daytime, just…darker.
Here’s what we don’t have pictures of:
No sand on the driveway.
No water in the well (soon, but not yet)
No paint on the other half of the border.
There was a miscalculation in a previous post about the weight of the sand we’ve moved.
It came from mixing up yards of sand, tons and pounds.
We received 3 truckloads of sand, 20 cubic yards each.
Half the first load was dumped in by Anthony and his bobcat so we don’t take credit for that.
Just the two of us wrangled the remaining 10, the next 20, and the next 20. 50 cubic yards total.
That is not 54,000 pounds. Because…
One yard of sand weighs roughly 2,500-3000 pounds or 1.25 tons at the low end. (More if it’s wet)
50 x 1.25 = 62.5 tons or 125,000 pounds. Probably more. That we shoveled, bagged, moved, dumped, compacted, etc.
Now we really feel tired.
We settled on the calculations for the liner and during the week we finalized the order.
It should arrive Tuesday afternoon.
The logistics are (hopefully) going to work.
That includes getting it off the truck and onto the ground, moving it to the driveway where we’ll cover and leave it till the weekend, then wrangling it over the grass to the deck.
We plan to lay it down next week (with help), though since we’re still bailing, it might make for some interesting timing.