#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 200531
There was so much rain that pumping took two days.
Then Sunday was a slog.
It was very hot and sunny. We were repositioning the gazebo every few minutes.
And when we touched any part of the black rubber liner that wasn’t in the shade; wow hot!
Plus this activity involved pulling and tugging the liner, stretching to get a rock, twisting and lifting.
Kneeling, sitting, crawling, standing, kneeling again, etc. All very awkward and tiring in the heat.
So much sloshing around that by the end, not just our pants, but everything was just plain swampy.
Hence the revised name.
The pros do a job like this with much larger (and heavier) boulders to hold the folds, corners and creases of the liner in place.
We still used a (literal) ton of rock just for this part even though our individual stones were smaller.
We finished the lower shelf from last week, then did the entire upper shelf.
Now everything is more or less neatly tucked into place.
(A lot of it won’t be visible anyway.
It’ll be covered by other rock or gravel.
And our water will not be crystal clear, so the deeper parts will be murky.)
We just managed to finish off the upper shelf as the heat and exertion turned us into toast.
Next week is the slate border around the deck.
Power washing, wheelbarrowing it over, pulling the liner tight, laying down the slate… (85 feet circumference).
Plant identification continues and two pairs of chest waders have arrived.