#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 201025
Relentless rain this week. A good bit of localized flooding including the field and around the yard.
Most of it had dissipated by Saturday though there are still a few new temporary lakes over at the park.
The papaya tree got soaked and blown from the steady wind, so we put some straps on it to try and straighten it back up.
Drilled hundreds of holes in the tops and bottoms of the bins and plugged some gaps in the lids so the water will go where we want and hopefully in the amounts we want. No pix cause it’s boring, but there will be assembly pix soon, so you can follow what’s going on.
Sunday, just as we were going out, the rain came back in earnest.
Everything started flooding again right away which means the previous water had soaked into the ground but not very deeply.
So this weather is challenging us to get the deck painted. It’s rained a lot on the sundays or tuesday or thursdays we’ve been planning to paint. So that waits. At least we have a long list of other things we can do - like shoveling in the rain or filter prep work etc in the barn.
Back when we were shoveling sand, we were lucky - we had a one year streak of no rain sundays. We were also lucky because there would have been nothing else to do beside shoveling. So we never got rained out and we can’t really complain now. Much.
Instead we went to work replacing the carburetor on the leaf blower.
And the fuel lines.
And the fuel filter.
So this wasn’t just one line in the notes ‘fix the blower’.
Turned out not to be particularly difficult.
It started up the first time. Never did that since when we bought it.
Not bad for two people who had never done this before.
Well, high-fived anyway.
Just as we finished up the rain stopped so we went to work on the dirt pile again.
By the yard, sand is heavier than top soil. By the shovel, wet dirt is way heavier than sand.
It was a billion percent humidity having just rained for an hour in the heat.
We managed 5 carts and it was lunch.
No new pictures of the butterfly bed. Figure last week’s picture, but with a yard and a half more dirt.
After lunch we finished drilling the bins and cut out the holes for the bulkhead fittings.
That was it for the day.
Devon came back during sunday breakfast. Stayed about 5 minutes and flew right out.
We are now certified by the National Wildlife Federation. (More of these to come.)
All in all, a pretty good two days work considering it was also days 3 and 4 of the 100 mile challenge, which means a 10 mile run each day before the sun comes up.
Here’s an index of all the postings in #thegreatpoolpondconversion