#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 210404
Did you spend all week thinking about solar power and pumps? We didn’t either.
A week of flawless electrics and hydraulics.
The first few days we went out to check on it like hourly.
Now we don’t even think about it
The proof of concept crisis is over and it’s crossed off the list.
Vindication feels good.
The distribution panel got cleaner.
After three coats of polyurethane on the chute and wheel, they’re dry but not fish safe.
It takes a month or so for the poly to cure.
We were able to water test it with a hose and no leaks.
We built the temporary garbage can filter because we are having a water quality problem.
We think we know the cause and it’s not likely to recur.
We did a one foot water change which didn’t help enough.
So we went for more - actually most - down to exposing the lower shelf.
We learned a lot once we could see.
Most of our bottom oxygenator plants are gone - eaten or disintegrated because there are few remnants.
A few remained tucked between rocks here and there and are doing fine.
Just not enough to do the job which likely is why it’s all out of balance.
With the water down we cleaned up some of the rocks and pipes and stuff - mostly boring and no pictures.
We refilled and noticed that our well water has a slightly orange tinge. Probably suspended rust.
We can see the fish again, and the bottom. And the fish don’t care.
We’ll be looking for a large assortment of replacement oxygenator plants.
While we’re waiting a month, we can prepare for the eventual chute and wheel.
We moved the filter tower because we needed to give it a boost*.
It needed a permanent base under it - for stability.
And extra height to line up the chute with the top of the water wheel.
We reused the temporary solar frame that was holding the first panel before they went to the roof.
Then a 2x10 frame under the 2x6 frame.
It took way less time than we figured.
Moved, built and moved back in one afternoon.
There’s a tricolor heron that’s visited a few times.
Today, Tuesday, it hung around for more than an hour and ate a few of the smaller fish (or tadpoles).
There are two iguanas that are also frequenting the pond.
They are digging up the new beds - above and below - we think to make a nest.
This one, obviously, isn’t scared of anything.
One plays lookout while the other digs.
The one on the right on the bed digging runs for the fence as soon as we open the door.
Yesterday we put some wood over the bed. Maybe they’ll find somewhere else to settle.
*Boost is the Experian ad
Here’s an index of all the postings in #thegreatpoolpondconversion