#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 210704
There’s still a fairly good list of ‘still need to finish’ work on the already completed projects - so not so completed.
And we’re sort of avoiding washing rocks because that means we’ll be ready for draining and heavy lifting.
So instead we decided to gear up for the next out of the water construction project - the trellis bed, which is the final planting bed.
Here’s the before shots you’ll be able to refer back to in hopefully not more than a couple of weekends.
First thing is the crinums have to be moved. So Saturday we scouted out their new spots in the field and pre-dug the holes. This turned out to be a smart move.
Sunday we dug up the plants. Whose idea was this?:
OK, yeah, we like it warm indoors, but 99, which peaked at 100 outside?
It was a lot of work as their roots had grown and weaved themselves into the weed barrier / ground cloth since likely 2002 or so. We dug, levered, pried, cut and after two hours we had them out and replanted.
We had previously planted and / or tossed bulbs from these plants out into the field. There are twelve small plants growing among the tall grass in a line by the mowed edge. So we placed these mature ones at the two ends as sentinels.
They’ll be happier now and can easily branch out and down.
Next steps are to take down the fence and pull the posts, rake up the rocks, lay some weed barrier, then build in three parts: the trellis bed box, the trellis, then a small seedling/sapling/nursery bed.
Monday we started building three simple pvc bird feeders.
We’re aiming for durable and squirrel proof.
By using various types of perches, one or two will hopefully only accommodate smaller, lighter birds.
Here’s an index of all the postings in #thegreatpoolpondconversion