#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 210912
We got our replacement solar panel.
Figured we’d install, then take readings to sort of know if something was wrong in the future.
One panel at a time, then pairs of 2, then all 3. Because they all connect to one feed wire and one meter on the panel in the barn.
Well after 20+ trips up and down the ladder, we finally figured that another panel went bad.
So these last weeks we thought we were on two were actually on only one.
We took it down and yup - no power.
For us, the M4As and 4 into 1 connectors are a bad idea.
There is no way to know if a single panel is not functioning.
No idea how people with 30-50 panels on their roofs know that each one is working….
So we’re going to run two more feed wires from the solar controller to the roof for a total of three.
Then we’ll make some space for three meters - one per each.
And we’re gonna ditch the M4A’s for heat shrink butt connectors. More reliable.
So at least from the ground, at a glance, we can know if something’s not right.
Sunday we started with this. Ficus under the window, pipe and valve sticking up, etc.
We put up half the fence in record time.
Then detoured to prepping the ground.
Took up the pavers, dug up two ficus bushes way too easily.
Replanted them out in the field (coral rock, yup).
then we cut out the leaky, sticking up valve, and replaced it so we could bury the pipe next week.