He said that suspected Boko Haram militants had seized young men, women and children from Gumsuri village.
The attack happened on Sunday but news has only just emerged, after survivors reached the city of Maiduguri.
Meanwhile, Cameroon’s army says it has killed 116 Nigerian militants who had attacked one of its bases, AFP reports.
Residents told the BBC the armed militants attacked the border town of Amchide on Wednesday, arriving in two vehicles and many others on foot.
President Vladimir Putin addressed Russia’s currency crisis for the first time, saying it would take as long as two years to emerge from its economic woes, as he blamed external factors for the rouble’s rout but acknowledged that more should have been done to diversify the struggling economy.
Speaking at his annual press conference on Thursday, Mr Putin also said capital controls were not being planned and that the economy, which is being pummelled by falling oil prices and western sanctions over Russia’s involvement in the Ukraine crisis, would adapt to its new reality. Despite the economic turmoil, Mr Putin remained defiant over Russia’s foreign policy and his stance on the Ukraine crisis.
ON THIS STORY
Live blog Putin’s annual press conference
The A-List Putin’s limited options to halt the crisis
Comment The only cure for what plagues Russia
Russia billionaire Yevtushenkov released
Editorial Putin’s strategic failure
ON THIS TOPIC
Russia acts to halt rouble rout
Rouble rises on government intervention
US risks EU rift on new Russia sanctions
Five charts: Russia’s Black Tuesday
Wilders charged over anti-Islam comments
Obesity can be a disability, EU court rules
Fifa World Cup investigator Garcia quits
Rouble crisis opens up Putin to attack
“The economy will adjust to life and work in the conditions of the low oil prices,” he said. “If prices will be low — $60 per barrel, $40 per barrel even, the figure doesn’t matter — the economy will restructure. The question is how quickly the adjustment will happen.”
Reminder: VOA is controlled directly by the US Government.
Media reports say U.S. authorities have linked last month’s crippling cyber attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment to North Korea. The attack was made to pressure the studio into canceling the release of a film that parodies North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The incident is familiar to companies in South Korea, which have a history of being targeted by the North.
Simon Choi, a cyber security researcher at an anti-virus company in Seoul called Hauri Incorporated, studied the malware codes used to hack into the Sony Corporation’s computer system. He said the codes are similar to the ones used in a cyber attack on South Korean media companies in 2012.
Just a gentle reminder that Sony is not a US company, and the “cave-in to terror” doesn’t belong to us. It belongs to Sony’s CEO, Kazuo Hirai. On the other hand in Japan they’ve directly experienced terror from North Korea in the form of threats, missile launches, and kidnappings of Citizens.
North Korea’s subsequent hack — which released tons of cringe-worthy emails — also revealed that Sony Corp’s CEO Kazuo Hirai was unusually involved in the production of “The Interview” after North Korea called the movie an “act of war” after seeing promos for it.
In fact, Hirai “broke a 25-year tradition” by interfering with the production of the irreverent comedy starting Seth Rogen and James Franco, The New York Times has reported. Generally, an executive from parent company Sony Corp. wouldn’t insert himself into the decisions of the company’s usually independent studio, Sony Pictures.
Hacked emails cited by The Times showed that Hirai told the studio to tone down a scene showing Kim’s head exploding. Seth Rogen sent an email to Sony Pictures executives that apparently addressed Hirai’s concerns about the exploding head.
My favorite line:
One of humanity’s strongest urges is to solve problems, right? God, I hope so, because that’s the least misanthropic thing I’m going to say in this article.
Maybe Futurama’s Bender was onto something when he said that everyone’s a jerk.
Said Sorkin: “Today the U.S. succumbed to an unprecedented attack on our most cherished, bedrock principle of free speech by a group of North Korean terrorists who threatened to kill moviegoers in order to stop the release of a movie. The wishes of the terrorists were fulfilled in part by easily distracted members of the American press who chose gossip and schadenfreude-fueled reporting over a story with immeasurable consequences for the public-a story that was developing right in front of their eyes. My deepest sympathies go out to Sony Pictures, Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and everyone who worked on The Interview.”
Also this evening, Sony Pictures Entertainment announced it was dropping its plans for a Dec. 25 release of The Interview — Sony’s upcoming comedy about assassinating North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un. Sony had already canceled the film’s New York premiere yesterday, in response to hackers’ thinly veiled threats of physical violence at the event. The film’s stars, James Franco and Seth Rogen, have canceled all public appearances, and movie theaters are beginning to declare they will not show the film at all.
Yet were the warnings of physical violence empty threats?
The Guardians of Peace (GOP), the hacking group that has accepted responsibility for the massive cyberattacks against Sony Pictures Entertainment, told a reporter weeks ago that they were not backed by any nation-state, were not based in North Korea, and were not explicitly motivated by protesting The Interview. North Korea denied any role, and some security experts stated that there was no technical evidence to the contrary. Yet rumors about North Korea continued anyway.
Are the cyberattackers simply being opportunistic — using the rumors to create more mischief, draw more attention, and create more problems for Sony?
Probably, say some security experts.
Assistant Attorney General for National Security John P. Carlin, U.S. Attorney Wifredo A. Ferrer for the Southern District of Florida, Special Agent in Charge George L. Piro of the FBI’s Miami Field Office and the members of the South Florida Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF), announce that Gufran Ahmed Kauser Mohammed, 31, a naturalized United States citizen and resident of Dammam, Saudi Arabia, was sentenced to 15 years in prison by U.S. District Judge Ursula Ungaro, for conspiring to provide material support to three separately designated Foreign Terrorist Organizations, al-Qa’ida, al-Qa’ida in Iraq/al-Nusrah Front (“AQI/al-Nusrah Front”), and al-Shabaab.
On July 11, 2014, Mohammed pled guilty to Count 1 of an Indictment charging him with conspiracy to provide money and recruits to al-Qa’ida, AQI/al-Nusrah Front in Syria, and al-Shabaab in Somalia. The charges allege that Mohammed sent a series of wire transfers to coconspirator Mohamed Hussein Said for the purpose of supporting al-Shabaab, and to an individual whom he believed was a terrorist fundraiser, recruiter, and supplier for the purpose of supporting al-Qa’ida and AQI/al-Nusrah Front. In addition, Mohammed agreed to support al-Qa’ida and AQI/al-Nusrah Front by recruiting individuals to fight in the conflict in Syria. Mohammed earmarked certain of his financial contributions for the purpose of buying weapons and funding attacks on United States citizens or the United Nations.
Mr. Ferrer commended the investigative efforts of the FBI and the South Florida Joint Terrorism Task Force. The case was prosecuted by Trial Attorney Jolie F. Zimmerman from the Counterterrorism Section of the Justice Department’s National Security Division and Assistant U.S. Attorneys Brian K. Frazier and Ricardo A. Del Toro.
A copy of this press release may be found on the website of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida at usdoj.gov. Related court documents and information may be found on the website of the District Court for the Southern District of Florida at flsd.uscourts.gov or on pacer.flsd.uscourts.gov.
The movie is now guaranteed to be on everyone’ s list of “Must see” movies. **
The country’s top five theater circuits have decided not to play Sony’s The Interview, a knowledgeable source tells The Hollywood Reporter.
Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Carmike Cinemas and Cineplex Entertainment have all decided against showing the film.
“Due to the wavering support of the film The Interview by Sony Pictures, as well as the ambiguous nature of any real or perceived security threats, Regal Entertainment Group has decided to delay the opening of the film in our theatres,” Regal said in a statement to THR Wednesday.
Carmike Cinemas confirmed its decision to drop the film on Tuesday. Sony had no immediate comment.
** are we totally totally certain that this isn’t just a masterful v…. no, they wouldn’t be that brazen. Maybe they will just release it online… in chunks.
Todays brain dead deadbolt extraordinaire Missouri State Rep. Rick Brattin has a nice idea. women who want or need an abortion must get a mans approval. Because. Because he’s really smart and really knows a lot of stuff and stuff. He said he was inspired to change the laws around abortion consent because he was required to obtain his wife’s consent before having a vasectomy. Which seems to be a mystery since there are no laws governing that. But whatever. Paybacks. This is your tax dollars at work. I think he should be spit shining that lard head bust of Rush they have on display to give people an idea of who they really are. That pile of slag must make them proud. “My hero. He is. So smart. Spot on. love him.” They care if it was “legitimate rape” and not that fake rape or just fooling around rape or I must have been more drunk than I thought rape or it wasn’t rape it was a party.