According to his plea agreement, Fernandes possessed explosive parts and devices that weren’t registered with the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. The government alleged that Fernandes also transported explosive materials in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona, and detonated devices in the Arizona desert.
Bogden said FBI agents seized firearms, explosive devices and noxious substances including napalm, ammonium and sodium sulfate and sulfur at Fernandes’ home. Agents also confiscated two inert hand grenades, five rifles, four handguns, thousands of rounds of ammunition and instructive materials for making explosive devices, the prosecutor said.
Eller said only two guns belonged to Fernandes, and the napalm was used as a fire-starter during camping trips. She said other guns belonged to family members.
Federal officials and his lawyer said Fernandes described himself as commander of a Nevada militia that was an urban survivalist unit with six or seven members.
Eller described the group as a bunch of friends “playing Army” and posting “exaggerations and empty boasts” on the Internet.
The defense attorney earlier acknowledged that Fernandes was friends with Jake Benton Howell, a Utah college student who was arrested Dec. 21 with an unloaded assault rifle, ammunition, a 16-inch bayonet and three large survival-style knives in his car as he arrived at a Las Vegas high school that both he and Fernandes had attended.
Police are seeking a 26-year-old man as the prime suspect in last week’s pre-dawn shooting and crash on the Las Vegas Strip that killed three people and injured several others
The black SUV used as a getaway car was found Saturday as police named Ammar Harris in connection with the shooting and six-vehicle chain-reaction carnage Thursday on the neon-lit boulevard near the Bellagio, Caesars Palace, Bally’s and Flamingo resorts,
An aspiring rapper who was driving a Maserati was shot to death, while two people in a taxi died in the crash.
“His location is unknown,” police Capt. Chris Jones said of Harris, who sometimes goes by the name Ammar Asim Faruq Harris. Police say he has been arrested for working as a pimp.
Police released a photo that was taken when Harris was arrested last year on pandering, kidnapping, sexual assault and coercion charges. The disposition of that case was not immediately known.
It’s unusual to see violence like this on the well-patrolled Las Vegas strip; even more surprising is the shooter got away.
Along with the apparent intended victim two bystanders—a cab driver and his passenger—were killed in a fire resulting from the incident.
Aspiring Oakland rapper Kenny Clutch (born Kenneth Wayne Cherry Jr.), 27, was shot and killed on Thursday in Las Vegas after an unknown assailant fired shots into Cherry’s Maserati.
According to CNN, Cherry was among three people killed in the incident, in which someone in a black Range Rover fired several shots into the rapper’s car approximately one block from the spot where Tupac Shakur was fatally shot in 1996.
After his car was hit, Cherry kept driving, ran a red light and collided with a taxi, which caught fire and killed the driver, 62-year-old Michael Boldon. A passenger in the taxi was also killed in the fire and a passenger in Cherry’s Maserati and six others were injured in the ensuing pile-up. Police said the Maserati passenger was hit by gunfire.
Authorities have not yet identified the shooter or shooters or revealed the cause of the deadly incident.
I’ll be careful when I’m out there next for NAB
Authorities in Nevada may have just aborted another mass shooting with the arrest of an 18-year-old, self-professed militia leader who authorities say planned to “conduct mass killings” and “bragged about plans to shoot people on the Las Vegas strip.”
Steven Matthew Fernandes, who claimed to be a member of the Southern Nevada Militia, was arrested by FBI agents last month after three separate informants provided information about the teenager building and exploding bombs, amassing “an arsenal of weapons” and boasting of his killing prowess.
After a mass shooting spree at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater in July that left 12 people dead and 58 others injured, Fernandes boasted, “I’ll beat that record,” federal court documents say.
At the recommendation of federal prosecutors, he was ordered detained as a flight risk and danger to the community at a hearing Wednesday before a U.S. magistrate judge, the Las Vegas Review Journal reported.
Fernandes is charged in a federal indictment with possessing and making unregistered firearms (bombs) and transporting explosive materials. Additional charges may be forthcoming, based on admissions the suspect made after he was arrested Sept. 13 outside a Radio Shack store in Las Vegas where he worked.
A loaded 10-round shotgun and additional ammunition were found in his car at the time of his arrest, according to a public court document filed by federal prosecutors and obtained by Hatewatch.
In the suspect’s bedroom in a Las Vegas home where he lived with his divorced mother and two younger sisters, agents recovered five rifles, four handguns and “thousands of rounds of ammunition,” along with a dangerous array of bomb-building materials and instructions, the document says. His mother had installed a dead bolt on the room, the document says.
“Fernandes manufactured, transported and exploded several bombs, and possessed material to make more,” documenting at least one of those test explosions on his iPhone, which he turned over to FBI agents, the document says.
Based on information Fernandes provided, agents subsequently located a rural site in Arizona where the young bomb-builder detonated at least three improvised explosive devices on Sept. 11.
The suspect “had numerous firearms of different types and thousands of rounds of ammunition (and) bragged about plans to shoot people on the Las Vegas strip, shoot people at his school and shoot preschool children and infants,” the document says.
Some of the teen’s familiarity with firearms, the court document says, came while he was a member of Boy Scout law enforcement “Explorer Post.” Fernandes, who claimed he had made at least 69 pipe bombs and discussed building poisonous gas chlorine bombs, used a “special purchasing code” from the high school he attended to buy restricted chemicals from suppliers, the document says.