The state of Tennessee has fired a veteran investigator because officials believed that he attempted to use violent stories about how his relatives participated in a lynching to intimidate African-Americans who were trying to file claims against emergency responders.
WTVF reported that William Sewell, a medical service investigator who had been with the state for more than 40 years, told the graphic story to Shun Mullins last summer.
Mullins had filed a complaint claiming that his mother had died when the Algood’s deputy fire chief refused to perform CPR because she was black. The complaint stated that the fire chief covered it up by falsifying medical reports.
Sewell had started the meeting by asking Mullins if he had ever been to prison.
I thought about this a little when the IOC awarded the games to Russia. I thought about it more when threats were made from the fanatical Islamist terrorists at war with Russia. Now I fear a horrible point in time that should be marked with records and accomplishments. There will be incidents. There and elsewhere. Thug Putin gets the games and when something happens, the pity. The IOC is a pack of psychopaths. We are fools. Target Sochi.
I hope I am wrong.
A man has been arrested after a feminist campaigner was deluged on Twitter with abuse and threats of rape, Scotland Yard has confirmed. The 21-year-old was detained earlier in the Manchester area on suspicion of harassment offences.
Caroline Criado-Perez faced abuse after successfully campaigning for a woman’s face to appear on UK banknotes.
Labour has complained to Twitter about what it says was an “inadequate response” to the abuse.
Ms Criado-Perez, who had appeared in the media to campaign for women to feature on banknotes, said the abusive tweets began the day it was announced that author Jane Austen would appear on the newly designed £10 note.
She reported them to the police after receiving “about 50 abusive tweets an hour for about 12 hours” and said she had “stumbled into a nest of men who co-ordinate attacks on women”.
Is he trying to outdo Dinnerjacket’s threats at Israel?
GENEVA - North Korea threatened South Korea with “final destruction” during a debate at the U.N Conference on Disarmament on Tuesday, saying it could take “second and third steps” after a nuclear test last week.
“As the saying goes, a newborn puppy knows no fear of a tiger. South Korea’s erratic behavior would only herald its final destruction,” North Korean diplomat Jon Yong Ryong told the meeting.
Without specifically referring to the nuclear test, Jon said North Korea had recently taken a “resolute step for self-defense,” which he described as “strong counteractions to a foreign aggressor.”
“If the U.S. takes a hostile approach toward the DPRK to the last, rendering the situation complicated, it (North Korea) will be left with no option but to take the second and third stronger steps in succession,” he added without elaborating.
His comments drew immediate criticism from other nations, including South Korea and Britain, whose ambassador Joanne Adamson said such language was “completely inappropriate” and the discussion with North Korea was heading in the wrong direction.
I think North Korea threatens South Korea with destruction more often than I eat vegetables.
The same Bill White has also made threats against Charles.
Bill White, the wildly obnoxious neo-Nazi who has made a profession of lobbing criminal threats at his enemies, has apparently been at it again.
On Thursday, according to today’s edition of the Roanoke (Va.) Times, White was indicted for threatening to have his ex-wife beaten and “hospitalized” for declining to send him some $400 a month while he was a fugitive in Mexico last year. White was already being held in Chicago, where he is serving time for violating his parole by fleeing to Mexico and also awaiting sentencing for threatening a juror.
White, a one-time anarchist who later became the founder and leader of now-defunct American National Socialist Workers Party, is known for making threats over the phone and via E-mail. His targets have included black tenants of a Virginia apartment complex who sued their landlord for discrimination, a federal jury chairman who helped convict another neo-Nazi leader, a black Miami Herald columnist, and a woman at a credit card company. He once threatened to come to the home of the author of this post some time after midnight, in a car that he said was loaded with guns.
When I first wrote about the sexist abuse of women online, collating the experiences of nearly a dozen writers, the response was largely positive. Many hadn’t been aware there was a problem; they were shocked. Others had assumed that they were the only ones whose every word on the web was greeted with a torrent of abusive, threatening comments.
But a few reactions stood out, among them that of Brendan O’Neill, the Telegraph blogs section’s resident contrarian. He wrote that feminist campaigners pointing this out was a “hilarious echo of the 19th-century notion that women need protecting from vulgar and foul speech”. We were, he said, “a tiny number of peculiarly sensitive female bloggers” trying to close down freedom of speech.
The best response to that argument, incidentally, comes from Ally Fogg, who wrote recently:
What you fail to understand is that the use of hate speech, threats and bullying to terrify and intimidate people into silence or away from certain topics is a far bigger threat to free speech than any legal sanction.
Imagine this is not the internet but a public square. One woman stands on a soapbox and expresses an idea. She is instantly surrounded by an army of 5,000 angry people yelling the worst kind of abuse at her in an attempt to shut her up. Yes, there’s a free speech issue there. But not the one you think.
I couldn’t have put it better myself. As the months have gone on, and more “trolls” (or “online bullies”, if you’re a semantic stickler) have been exposed, the perception that what we’re talking about when we talk about online harrassment is “a few mean comments” or an insult or two has grown.
The Oslo appeals court found the mullah, who founded the Ansar al-Islam group and has lived in Norway since 1991, not guilty of “inciting terrorism” but sentenced him to two years and 10 months in prison for issuing threats and intimidating witnesses.
A lower court had sentenced Krekar, whose real name is Najmeddine Faraj Ahmad, to a total of six years in prison in two separate trials for having made threats and calling for the murder of, among others, a former government minister who signed an order expelling him from Norway in 2003.
The appeal judges upheld only the convictions covering witness harassment in Krekar’s first trial and threats he issued to Kurds whom he accused of desecrating or burning pages of the Koran.
NEW YORK — The NYPD plans to subpoena Twitter Tuesday to identify a man who used the social media platform to threaten a “Batman”-style massacre at a Broadway theater.
“ima shoot that theater up tonight trust me,” Twitter user @obamasmistress, who goes by the alias Anonymous Celebrity, wrote to another user Friday. The recipient had tweeted that she was standing in line for the opening night of Tyson’s show, “Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth.”
The day before, @obamasmistress told another user, “i said you on my hit list too. This sh— ain’t no joke yo I’m serious people are gonna die just like in aurora,” a reference to the Colorado town where 12 people were killed and 58 were injured when a gunman opened fire at a packed midnight screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” on July 20.
Cops responded to the Longacre Theatre on West 48th Street as a precaution after they learned of the threats, and sent an “emergency request” to Twitter to release any information it had on the user, police said.
Read more: dnainfo.com
A Wisconsin man was charged on Friday afternoon for threats he made in February and March, in which he claimed that he was going to shoot Democrats and blow up the party’s state headquarters in Madison.
In more than 100 calls allegedly placed by William O. Diedrich to the Wisconsin Democratic Party headquarters, he threatened that his attack would make the devestation at the Oklahoma City Federal Building in 1995 look “like a firecracker compared to what’s gonna happen to you people,” according to The Wisconsin State Journal.
In another message allegedly left by Diedrich, he sang a song about how “Bama” should be murdered. In yet another, he warned that Democrats “better be wearing bulletproof vests.”
The calls were placed using a mobile device on the Tracfone prepaid service, so police had to recruit the help of AT&T in order to track down the man’s identity.