NASHVILLE — Authorities say a 4-year-old boy grabbed a loaded gun at a family cookout and accidentally shot and killed the wife of a Tennessee sheriff’s deputy.
Investigators say Wilson County Deputy Daniel Fanning on Saturday was showing his weapons to a relative in a bedroom of his Lebanon home when the toddler came in and picked up a gun off the bed. Sheriff Robert Bryan says the weapon discharged, hitting 48-year-old Josephine Fanning.
shopper who brandished a handgun during a Black Friday scuffle at South Park Mall was within his rights, according to San Antonio police.
Officers were dispatched to the mall’s Sears store about 9 p.m. Thursday in response to a call about a shooting, according to an incident report. When they arrived, they detained Jose Alonzo Salame, 33, who was holding a black 9 mm semi-automatic handgun with a black holster.
“We don’t see this very often,” Officer Matthew Porter said, adding that Salame did not break the law by displaying the weapon. “He was within his rights.”
Read more: mysanantonio.com
A federal judge refused bond to a suburban Chicago man charged with trying to bomb a downtown bar, contending he was a danger to the community.
The U.S. attorney’s office says Adel Daoud was indicted Thursday on charges of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to damage or destroy a building by means of an explosive.
Daoud, who turns 19 on Friday, was arrested last week after authorities said he tried to trigger a fake mechanism set up by the FBI as a part of a sting.
Court documents say Daoud told an undercover agent he was pursuing the attack because the U.S. was at war ”with Islam and Muslims.”
THE decision by the United States and Israel to develop and then deploy the Stuxnet computer worm against an Iranian nuclear facility late in George W. Bush’s presidency marked a significant and dangerous turning point in the gradual militarization of the Internet. Washington has begun to cross the Rubicon. If it continues, contemporary warfare will change fundamentally as we move into hazardous and uncharted territory.
It is one thing to write viruses and lock them away safely for future use should circumstances dictate it. It is quite another to deploy them in peacetime. Stuxnet has effectively fired the starting gun in a new arms race that is very likely to lead to the spread of similar and still more powerful offensive cyberweaponry across the Internet. Unlike nuclear or chemical weapons, however, countries are developing cyberweapons outside any regulatory framework.
There is no international treaty or agreement restricting the use of cyberweapons, which can do anything from controlling an individual laptop to disrupting an entire country’s critical telecommunications or banking infrastructure. It is in the United States’ interest to push for one before the monster it has unleashed comes home to roost.
Stuxnet was originally deployed with the specific aim of infecting the Natanz uranium enrichment facility in Iran. This required sneaking a memory stick into the plant to introduce the virus to its private and secure “offline” network. But despite Natanz’s isolation, Stuxnet somehow escaped into the cyberwild, eventually affecting hundreds of thousands of systems worldwide.
This is one of the frightening dangers of an uncontrolled arms race in cyberspace; once released, virus developers generally lose control of their inventions, which will inevitably seek out and attack the networks of innocent parties. Moreover, all countries that possess an offensive cyber capability will be tempted to use it now that the first shot has been fired.
Maybe the guy in the pickup thought he was standing his ground or something
A man who was hitchhiking across the country for a memoir called “The Kindness of America” was shot along a rural highway in northeast Montana, police there say.
Ray Dolin, 39, of West Virginia, approached a pickup truck on Saturday in Glasgow, Mont., thinking the driver was offering him a ride, Valley County Sheriff Glen Meier told the Associated Press. Dolin was shot in the arm.
The shooter, Lloyd Danielson of Washington state, drove off and was arrested four hours later in Culbertson, Mont., 100 miles away. He’s being held on suspicion of felony assault with a weapon and driving under the influence. According to the Billings Gazette, Danielson, 52, “was under the influence of drugs or alcohol and apparently headed to Williston, N.D., for work tied to the oil boom.” Williston home to the Bakken oil patch, which stretches across western North Dakota, eastern Montana and southern Saskatchewan.
Iran has the knowledge and scientific capability to produce nuclear weapons but will never do so, a prominent lawmaker has said.
Gholamreza Mesbahi Moghadam is a parliamentarian not a government official and his views do not represent the Iranian government’s policy. It however is the first time that such a prominent Iranian politician has publicly stated that Iran has the technological capability to produce a nuclear weapon.
His assertion published on parliament’s website late Friday suggests that Iran is trying to show unity in its political establishment around its often repeated claims that it seeks world-class technological advances including nuclear expertise, but does not want to develop atomic arms as the U.S. and its allies claim.
The statement comes before planned talks beginning next week with the U.S. and other world powers over Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
FBI — Maryland Man Sentenced to 25 Yrs for Attempted Use of a Weapon of Mass Destruction in Plot to Attack Armed Forces
BALTIMORE—U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz sentenced Antonio Martinez, a/k/a Muhammad Hussain, age 22, of Baltimore, Maryland, a U.S. citizen, today to 25 years in prison, followed by five years of supervised release, for attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction against federal property, in connection with a scheme to attack an Armed Forces recruiting station in Catonsville, Maryland. Martinez was arrested on December 8, 2010 after he attempted to detonate what he believed to be explosives at the Armed Forces recruiting station.
The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein and Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
“We are catching dangerous suspects before they strike, and we are investigating them in a way that maximizes the liberty and security of law-abiding citizens,” said U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein. “That is what the American people expect of the Justice Department and that is what we aim to deliver.”
“This is an example of another successful prosecution that resulted from outstanding partnerships between the Muslim community and law enforcement,” stated FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard A. McFeely. “As the threat from homegrown violent extremists remains high, the FBI and our police partners rely on a two-way flow of information with the Muslim community at large. Together, we are working to stop those that have perverted the Islamic faith into something it is not.”
According to his plea agreement, on October 22, 2010, Martinez raised the subject of attacking military targets with an FBI confidential source (CS). During the recorded conversations that followed between Martinez, the CS, and later an FBI undercover agent, Martinez identified his target—an Armed Forces recruiting station in Catonsville, Maryland—and spoke about his anger toward America, his belief that Muslims were being unjustly targeted and killed by the American military, and his desire to commit jihad to send a message that American soldiers would be killed unless the country stopped its “war” against Islam.
Authorities searched Tuesday for the weapon a gunman used a day earlier when he killed seven people execution-style at a small religious college in Oakland, California.
Accused shooter One Goh gave some details to investigators about Monday’s attack, but refused to say where he disposed of the gun, police said.
Investigators had narrowed their search for the weapon and were combing a shoreline park area Tuesday, police spokeswoman Johnna Watson told reporters.
Forensic investigators were still at the scene of the shooting Tuesday, she said.
Police plan to present the case to the district attorney for possible charges sometime this week, she said.
“It’s a large investigation. We want to be thorough,” she said.
Goh was being held Tuesday in Alameda County’s Santa Rita Jail pending an initial appearance in court this week.
The 43-year-old former student at the college “does not appear to be remorseful at all,” Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan said.
Goh told authorities that he was upset about being expelled from Oikos University this year, Jordan said.
Investigators believe Goh walked into the single-story building housing the university Monday morning, took a secretary hostage and went looking for a particular female administrator, who was not there, Jordan told CNN.
Goh took the secretary into the classroom, but when he realized the administrator was not there, he shot her and ordered the students to line up against the wall. Not all of them cooperated, Jordan said, and so he began shooting.
Suspect detained in California shooting Oikos shooting witness discusses rampage Campus shooter target was female admin. Seven dead following university shooting
“I’m going to kill you all,” the gunman said, according to CNN affiliate KTLA.
“This was a calculated, cold-blooded execution in the classroom,” Jordan said. The suspect “just felt a certain urge to inflict pain on them,” he said.
A Maryland man pleaded guilty Thursday to trying to detonate what he thought was a car bomb outside a military recruiting center in suburban Baltimore, saying he was motivated by what he saw as an American war on Islam.
Antonio Martinez entered the plea to the charge of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction against federal property. The plot to bomb the Armed Forces Recruiting Center in Catonsville in December 2010 was foiled by an FBI sting.
The 22-year-old had also faced a charge of trying to kill U.S. officers and employees, but prosecutors agreed to drop the second charge at sentencing. The deal calls for a 25-year prison term.
One San Francisco police officer was slashed by a razor and another had his uniform torn and cheek cut in a clash with Occupy San Francisco protesters Saturday afternoon, police said.
At around 3:30 p.m., near the Embarcadero and Broadway, police officers attempted to prevent marching demonstrators from blocking the intersection where MUNI light rail tracks were located.
A female protester emerged from the crowd and an “exacto razor blade attached to a pen or pencil-like object,” San Francisco police said in an e-mail.
“The female slashed the inside of the officers hand and ran back into the crowd before the officer had time to realize he was cut,” police said.
In a second incident, a protester grabbed an officer’s police radio and ran back into the crowd. As the officer attempted to retrieve it, a second protester blocked the officer and tore his uniform and cut his cheek, police said, intimating a weapon was used.
The officer retrieved his radio and both male demonstrators escaped into the crowd, police said.
Both injured officers were treated and released at the scene. No one has been arrested.