Diabetes prevalence worldwide has more than doubled since 1980, study finds
The prevalence of Type 2 diabetes worldwide has more than doubled since 1980, climbing from an estimated 153 million three decades ago to about 347 million in 2008, researchers reported Saturday. About 3 million deaths every year are directly attributable to the disease, which is caused by the body’s inability to effectively use insulin secreted by the pancreas. About one in every 10 men around the world and one in every 11 women suffers from the disorder, the researchers wrote in the journal Lancet. The researchers concluded that about 70% of the increase was due to aging of the population and the remaining 30% was due to the growing incidence of obesity, which is a major risk factor for diabetes.