Russia & China: North Korea Urged to Drop Rocket Launch Plan
(Reuters) - Russia and China urged North Korea on Monday not to go ahead with a plan for its second rocket launch of 2012, with Moscow saying the launch would violate restrictions imposed by the U.N. Security Council.
North Korea’s state news agency on Saturday announced the decision to launch another space satellite and reportedly told neighbors it would take a similar path to that planned for a failed rocket launch in April.
“We urgently appeal to the government (of North Korea) to reconsider the decision to launch a rocket,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Echoing its criticism of the April launch, Russia said North Korea had been warned not to ignore a U.N. Security Council resolution which “unambiguously prohibits (it) from launching rockets using ballistic technology”.
China was not so direct in its criticism of North Korea, but urged “all sides” not to take any action that “worsens the problem”.