Wondering What ‘Privilege’ Is? This Video Has Some Answers for You
In a recent video posted by Buzzfeed, several people are asked a series of questions and then told to either step forward or backward if the question applies to them. The questions were based on an exercise created by social activists Margo Adair and Sharon Howell.
Each question asks the participants whether or not they enjoy certain privileges or endure different disadvantages.
I participated in an similar exercise a few years ago. It was humbling.
List of questions (partial)
1. If your parents worked nights and weekends to support your family, take one step back.
2. If you are able to move through the world without fear of sexual assault, take one step forward.
3. If you can show affection for your romantic partner in public without fear of ridicule or violence, take one step forward.
4. If you have ever been diagnosed as having a physical or mental illness/disability, take one step back.
5. If the primary language spoken in your household growing up was not english, take one step back.
6. If you came from a supportive family environment take one step forward.
7. If you have ever tried to change your speech or mannerisms to gain credibility, take one step back.
Please click the links to see the video.