National Pie Day Peach Pie Recipe - NYT Cooking Pie to Impeach By
Ingredients For the pastry:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup cold lard (Allard usually uses 3 tablespoons of butter as part of the lard) [VB uses Crisco]
- ¼ cup ice water
For the filling:
- 4 to 6 cups ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- Bit of freshly grated nutmeg
- Mix the flour and the salt. Add the cold shortening in 2-inch pieces. Cut it into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Squeeze a bit together (if it crumbles, add more shortening).
- Mix in ice water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, with a fork until the dough sticks together. Pat it together, but do not overhandle.
- Shape into 2 flattened discs. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Mix peaches with lemon juice. Add sugar and flour and mix.
- Roll out the first pastry disc and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Add filling. Grate nutmeg on top.
- Roll out second disc. Cut slits in a decorative pattern. Place on top of filling. Wet edges of bottom pastry with cold water. Trim pastry; pinch bottom and top edges together.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, turn down to 375 degrees and cook until peaches bubble and pastry is golden, about 45 minutes. Serve slightly warm with ice cream.