#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 200329
First we’d like to lodge a complaint: Since the day we laid the liner (3/1/20), it hasn’t rained once.
Now to business.
Since our design does not include a filter, we need to give the whole system a head start. That means the 11(!) tons of rock has to be rinsed of accumulated dust, dirt, grime, etc., before being put in place.
We came up with a workflow for washing, hauling and laying the rock that should work pretty well.
Having never done this before, we’re guessing a bit as to the sequence of events.
Mostly we don’t want to have to undo something and start again.
Since the water fall is like a focal point, we think before we go further, we have to ensure that the spillway rock is in the right place and that the flow works.
The rock weighs 55# so to balance, it will have to be supported both on the inside and outside of the tub.
First we put an extra piece of liner in place. This should direct any stray flow down and back into the main pond.
We built our first rock wall and then laid the spillway on top of it.
The sandbags will eventually be hidden.
We decided we really like the look of the flat rock we chose.
Next we created a mini pond, filled it and the tank, stuck the pump in it, ran the hose, and hooked up the solar to see what would happen.
After thinking about this moment for a year, this is the first time we ran the pump.
We now know that the solar works, the pump works, the flow rate is good, etc.
Next week we’ll clean up some leaks so all the water flows over the spillway and not under it.