Ted Cruz Appears With Anti-Gay Hate Group American Family Association, Openly Advocates Theocracy
People sometimes ask me why I bother paying attention to the extreme right wing American Family Association and their insane caveman spokesman Bryan Fischer. Aren’t they just a fringe group with no real influence?
No, they’re not a fringe group at all. In fact, they’re highly connected politically and it’s not unusual for top Republican politicians to court them and their reactionary audience of religious fanatics.
Today’s example: here’s Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz appearing on their radio show and explicitly advocating a theocratic government for the United States.
“Nothing is more important in the next 18 months than that the body of Christ rise up and that Christians stand up, that pastors stand up and lead,” Cruz proclaimed. “In this last election, 54 million evangelical Christians stayed home … If we can simply bring Christians to the polls — is it any wonder we have the government we have, we have the leaders we have if believers stay home and leave electing our leaders to unbelievers. We get exactly what we deserve and nothing is more important that having people of faith stand up and just vote our values, vote biblical values and that’s how we turn the country around.”
Right Wing Watch lists the “five specific steps” Cruz told AFA president Tim Wildmon he would take on his first day in office as president:
- Rescind every one of President Obama's "illegal executive actions."
- Order the Department of Justice to open an investigation into Planned Parenthood for possible criminal prosecution.
- Direct every government agency to end "the persecution of religious liberty."
- "Rip to shreds" the Iran nuclear deal.
- Begin the process of moving the American embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.