Juan Williams Misses Working for NPR

After viciously attacking NPR to get paid by Fox News, Williams now admits he hates working for Fox
Media • Views: 26,969

Talk about poetic justice; Juan Williams now misses working for NPR, because the audience is so “informed and influential.”

Unlike the audience for whom he dances at Fox News.

Fox News political analyst Juan Williams misses working for NPR “big time.” �

“Because that’s such an informed and influential audience,” he told me last night at the swanky Industria Studios, a big loft and event space in the far West Village.� “And the thing is that audience really liked me and I would often times help raise money for NPR.” �

1 Political Atheist  Sat, May 5, 2012 10:14:08am

Hopefully he has a brighter future than Fox. Say what you want about the controversy, but then check out his creds.
Wiki
Awards
Williams has received many awards, including honorary doctorates from Haverford College and State University of New York.[28]

Front Page Award, Washington-Baltimore Newspaper Guild (1979)
Education Writers of America (1979)
Columnist of the Year, Washingtonian (1982)
Emmy Award (1989)
Outstanding Memorial Book, Myers Center for the Study of Human Rights in the United States
Best National Book, Time
Political commentary award, American Association of University Women

2 darthstar  Sat, May 5, 2012 10:15:05am

Dr. Faustus had his regrets, too.

3 darthstar  Sat, May 5, 2012 10:31:32am

I'm enjoying watching President Obama rip Mitt Romney a new asshole right now in Ohio.

4 Charleston Chew  Sat, May 5, 2012 11:29:02am

2 words:

5 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Sat, May 5, 2012 11:35:41am

Juan, you have made for yourself a hard and Narrow bed, now don't complain that you have to sleep in it. ;)

6 John Q  Sat, May 5, 2012 12:03:43pm

Well, I went to the linked article and saw the bit about missing NPR. But I didn't see anything about "hates working for Fox."
Gee, Charles, are you lowering yourself to FNC standards and just making things up?

7 Charles Johnson  Sat, May 5, 2012 12:09:47pm

I think it's a fair reading of his comments to say that he's not enjoying Fox. He dissed their entire audience as uninformed, and misses NPR not just a little, but "big time."

8 Mattand  Sat, May 5, 2012 1:06:15pm

John Q has a bit of a point. However, assuming the article is correct, it's interesting he didn't speak of the Fox News audience in the same terms.

Williams is smart enough not to call the Fox audience what it is (uniformed to the point of ignorance) for fear of angering his current employers. And let's face it, those guys are vindictive pricks; just ask Newt Gingrich.

Still, I predict a "clarification" from Williams by Monday in which he states the Fox News audience is as informed as NPR's. He may even do it with a straight face.

9 _RememberTonyC  Sat, May 5, 2012 1:18:14pm

Maybe he read the comments on Fox Nation and had a change of heart

10 Buck  Sat, May 5, 2012 2:14:50pm
Unlike the audience for whom he dances at Fox News.

In my opinion that is a very offensive remark.

11 Flavia  Sat, May 5, 2012 3:28:20pm

re: #10 Buck

In my opinion that is a very offensive remark.

I know what you are thinking & will bet any amount of money that it's entirely accidental.

I up-dinged the remark because I agree that it *is* offensive, but, again, not purposefully so.

12 Charles Johnson  Sat, May 5, 2012 3:31:30pm

Oh please! I said Juan Williams is dancing at Fox News just like I'd say any other person at Fox is dancing for their uninformed audience. It's a song and dance show, bearing no resemblance to real journalism most of the time.

But if you want to bring up the question of whether Juan WIlliams fills a certain role at Fox News that's based on his race, sure, let's have that discussion - because I think he very clearly does.

13 Gus  Sat, May 5, 2012 4:18:08pm

re: #10 Buck

In my opinion that is a very offensive remark.

Clearly you have the talent for becoming an "Investigative Reporter" for the Breitbart organization.

14 John Q  Sat, May 5, 2012 5:22:14pm

I'd say there's a difference between not enjoying working at Fox as much as working at NPR, and "hating" working at Fox.
If he hated working there, he'd quit. It's not as though he couldn't find other sources of income.

15 Charles Johnson  Sat, May 5, 2012 5:52:33pm

re: #14 John Q

You can be paid very well and still hate your job.

And Roger Ailes gave Juan Williams a $2 million contract when NPR let him go - I doubt he could find a better paying job than that.

16 Buck  Sun, May 6, 2012 1:54:07pm

So on the one hand you don't mean to infer that Juan Williams only contributes to Fox News "a song and dance show", despite his incredible background in civil rights, authoring multiple books, and his long respected political opinion, BUT you do want to infer that he is the sort of man who can be bought and paid for as a Token black at FNC, despite the fact that he joined Wendell Goler, Angela McGlowan, Harris Faulkner and Charles Payne. I wonder if you felt he was the token black at NPR? Where he actually was the only black on air talent (before they fired him).

I consider the dancing comment to be offensive, and the " Juan WIlliams fills a certain role at Fox News that's based on his race" to be offensive as well.

17 Charles Johnson  Sun, May 6, 2012 4:31:03pm

re: #16 Buck

Of course you do, Buck. I'm sure it's very concerning to you that some people are not dumb enough to fall for your "reverse racism" argument.

Nope, he wasn't the "token black" (your words) at NPR, because NPR doesn't need a "token black." Fox News, on the other hand, needs as many as they can get to offset the nearly constant race-baiting of the rest of their performers.

18 Patricia Kayden  Mon, May 7, 2012 4:43:05am

re: #16 Buck

Have you ever heard of Michelle Martin who hosts "Tell Me More"? She's Black. Not sure why you are claiming that Juan Williams was the only Black person on NPR before he was fired.

Breathing New Life Into a Murdered Journalist’s Work In October 2017, the Maltese blogger and investigative reporter Daphne Caruana Galizia needed to go to the bank. Her account had been blocked after a government minister filed a defamation charge against her. She left her house, got into ...
Who Is, or Was, the Greatest Martial Artist in History?I only got to the rank of 2nd degree black belt in Chinese & American Kenpo, so I am certainly no expert. I earned all my higher belts at American Karate Studios in Northeastern Ohio, and was a competitor on ...
Samuel Vargo
The Way We Regulate Self-Driving Cars Is Broken—here’s How to Fix It The key issue is this: the current system is built around an assumption that cars will be purchased and owned by customers. But the pioneers of the driverless world—including Waymo, Cruise, and Uber—are not planning to sell cars to ...
Android’s Trust Problem Isn’t Getting Better Android security is largely failing due to a smorgasbord of issues and lies. Published today, a two-year study of Android security updates has revealed a distressing gap between the software patches Android companies claim to have on their devices ...
Tour of the Moon in 4K Take a virtual tour of the Moon in all-new 4K resolution, thanks to data provided by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter spacecraft. As the visualization moves around the near side, far side, north and south poles, we highlight interesting features, ...
Vermont Governor Signs Sweeping Gun Control Measures Vermont Gov. Phil Scott on Wednesday signed sweeping gun control measures -- including limits on the size of magazines -- that the Legislature passed last month after contentious debate. The measures:-- Raise the minimum age for gun buyers to ...