TwitterFacebook

Washington Post: Obama May Lose ‘Good Will’ of Republicans if He Nominates Rice

Post obviously confused; believes GOP has any ‘good will’
Politics • Views: 17,161

I’m agnostic about whether PBO should nominate Rice for Secretary of State after Hillary Clinton leaves Foggy Bottom next year, but this lead paragraph from a story in today’s Washington Post has to be about the most brain-dead thing from a non-RWNJ source I’ve read in months:

The choice of a successor to Hillary Rodham Clinton as secretary of state has turned into an unexpectedly nasty political fight that could cost the White House valuable goodwill with Republicans.

Seriously, Washington Post? There’s GOP “good will” for the White House? Have you been paying attention to anything in the past four years?

Sigh. This is why we can never have nice things.

1 Decatur Deb  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 6:49:50am

If Obama entered Bo in a neighborhood dog show he would lose all the goodwill the TPGOP could muster. Scroo'm.

2 aagcobb  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 7:50:53am

I don't know how anyone at the Post could write that sentence with a straight face. Really, GOP goodwill for the WH? You have got to be kidding!

3 MichaelJ  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 7:54:03am

Not just goodwill, but "valuable goodwill". Riiiight.

4 nines09  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 8:00:50am

Someones been huffing toner. Either that or unreported alien abduction PTSD.

5 Bulworth  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 8:04:29am

Obviously that a sentence like this could have been written in 2012 means we have not progressed as far as a civilization as I had hoped.

6 sizzzzlerz  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 8:06:53am

Not to mention his losing the respect and admiration of all the teabaggers out there.

7 kirkspencer  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 8:13:12am

What is equally amusing is thinking of all the "president should get the cabinet he requests unless criminal" statements made in previous years.

On the other hand I think everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room - the filibuster modifications coming down the road. Rice won't get nominated till Clinton officially resigns (pending approval of her successor or not). And the Senator hold, which has been yet another source of annoyance, is not a rule. It is a gentleman's agreement which can be ignored - and I have no doubt the nomination of the Secretary of State would be big enough to trigger that fight.

So their zero tolerance behavior is burning up their brakes. The only thing holding now is Democrats concerned about the times they are out of power.

8 Bulworth  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 8:17:52am

Very true. The article should have raised this point. //

9 Charleston Chew  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 8:19:24am

The President had already seriously endangered his relationship with the GOP back in 2008 when he made the mistake of getting elected President. That was a faux pas that Republican just couldn't forgive him for.

And it didn't help that he had previously upset conservatives back in '61 with the highly controversial and divisive decision to be born the son of a black man in America.

10 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 8:38:17am

Unintentional comedy gold right there...

11 calochortus  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 8:38:32am

Hahahahahaha. Oh wait. They're serious? That's sad.

12 Romantic Heretic  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 9:46:18am

Just the giggle I needed to start my day.

13 Tigger2  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 9:52:34am

The Onion must be extremely jealous of the fact they didn't write that article.

14 celticdragon  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 10:16:49am

re: #9 Charleston Chew

You win teh internets today. Where would you like them to be delivered?

15 HappyWarrior  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 10:24:45am

What goodwill?

16 Charles Johnson  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:32:26am

OK, I have to promote this one. "The good will of Republicans" is our howler of the day.

17 jaunte  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:34:50am

Mitch McConnell:
“Our top political priority over the next two years should be to deny President Obama a second term.”

18 Varek Raith  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:36:41am

Hmmm...
I could've sworn I posted a comment in this before it got promoted.
*Shrugs*

19 erik_t  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:38:44am

Ah, I believe the Washington Post has suffered a minor misprint.

If Rice is out of the Benghazigate spotlight, the White House will lose a considerable amount of Republican good wail.

20 Kragar  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:40:33am

A musical response to this potential loss of good will:

21 GunstarGreen  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:40:53am

re: #18 Varek Raith

Hmmm...
I could've sworn I posted a comment in this before it got promoted.
*Shrugs*

The only 'goodwill' the Republicans could ever have would be a Goodwill down the street that they fought tooth and nail to get torn down.

Fuck 'em. They're not even in "Lucy with the football" territory anymore, they've outright told everyone they intend to be obstructionist leeches for the next four years. Just back the bus right over them and keep on truckin'.

22 Gus  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:41:14am

So has the Benghazi coverage surpassed 9/11 coverage already or what?

23 Lidane  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:41:36am

I will laugh my ass off if any mention of Susan Rice is just a way to get the GOP to flail around like a bunch of howler monkeys.

These people are certifiable.

24 A Man for all Seasons  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:43:53am

This is pretty funny for sure..Maybe what the post means may be goodwill towards nominees. Maybe in the backrooms somebody is saying if you don't nominate Rice we won't give you shit on the rest of your nominees.

25 HappyWarrior  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:45:54am

Let's say they don't nominate Rice. I bet you McCain will still find something to bitch about because he's that pathetic at this point in his career. They'll look for anything and anyone associated with this administration to turn into a pathetic witchhunt. Because so many of them desire to look "conservative enough" so they won't get primaried and lose their power.

26 wrenchwench  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:46:59am

re: #20 Kragar

A musical response to this potential loss of good will:

I just saw him do that last night on a DVD of the first SNL episode. His hair was not quite that magnificent.

The other musical guest: Janice Ian. I'd still be depressed if it weren't for the Billy Preston antidote.

27 Sol Berdinowitz  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:48:40am

re: #24 A Man for all Seasons

This is supposed to be seen as a veiled threat that if Obama does not back down on this one, they will grow even more obstructionist.

Time to call their bluff. Remember, they see compromise as a sign of weakness anyways...

28 erik_t  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:51:51am

re: #27 Sol Berdinowitz

Well, it's one more obstructionist, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most parties, you know, will be obstructing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your obstructing. Where can you go from there? Where?

29 jaunte  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:54:03am

re: #22 Gus

Bengoodwillghazi

30 Kragar  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:56:11am

re: #28 erik_t

ELEVENTY!

31 Sol Berdinowitz  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:56:18am

Nice looking nominee you have there, Barack...would be a shame to see anything happen to her, and you know that our "good will" doesn't come cheap...

32 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:58:42am

re: #24 A Man for all Seasons

One possible explanation is that they want Obama to nominate Kerry instead of Rice so that his Senate seat becomes vacant and Scott Brown can get it back.

33 Varek Raith  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 11:59:47am

re: #18 Varek Raith

Hmmm...
I could've sworn I posted a comment in this before it got promoted.
*Shrugs*

Derp.
Nevermind, wrong page.

34 Our Precious Bodily Fluids  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:00:34pm

Speaking of the need to stop fucking around when it comes to State Dept. appointments:
Syria: Internet and mobile communication 'cut off'

One presumes this means wholesale slaughter is proceeding unabated at the moment.

35 simoom  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:04:36pm

You'd think that bit I bolded would be why this should be written exactly the other way around. A president has just won reelection and already the opposition is back to total-war, scorched-earth partisan politicking. They're baselessly smearing someone the President admires & respects and feels loyalty to for the hard work she's done in his first term, and if he is planning on nominating her, they're essentially denying her the promotion he feels she deserves. They're also, immediately out of the post-election gate, challenging his presidential prerogative to pick the cabinet he wants, as well as any post election political capital he has earned for being endorsed by a majority of the country a second time. Finally they're pissing all over the increased Senate majority the Dems have won (being they're the only body of Congress that has the "advise and consent" role).

If the media is going to get out their smelling salts over anyone poisoning the well and burning away "good will," it clearly should be what the GOP has already done and is currently doing through this shameless partisan stunt.

36 HappyWarrior  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:05:19pm

re: #32 watching you tiny alien kittens are

Would that be ensured? I know Brown lost by a small margin in Massachusetts and was hurt by the fact it was a presidential year but I think the Democrats would beat him again because they've done it once now and two I think they would avoid the mistakes that led to him becoming Senator in the first place.

37 erik_t  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:06:30pm

Back off, McCain and Graham and such. The big dogs of stupidity are entering the fray.

"This is gonna go down as the biggest coverup in history," Inhofe predicted during an appearance on Fox News. "The administration deliberately covered this up and misrepresented what happened in Benghazi."

BIGGER THAN THE MOON LANDINGS!?!?

38 HappyWarrior  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:08:12pm

re: #37 erik_t

They really want to make this Obama's Watergate bad. Fucking hacks.

39 Sol Berdinowitz  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:09:26pm

Look, at this point, it is all about asociating certain terms with certain other ones

Benghazi = coverup
Obamacare = death panels
Sotomayor = racist
Democratic election victory = free stuff for underclasses

They know that once the echo gets loud enough, it will become self-perpetuating

40 erik_t  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:12:10pm

re: #39 Sol Berdinowitz

They know that once the echo gets loud enough, it will become self-perpetuating

They're also sure this is a good thing for their electoral chances. I'm... less certain.

41 sagehen  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:12:40pm

"I'll back out of the Susan Rice nomination on condition that you immediately move all my judicial nominees through committee and onto the floor for votes. All of them, the whole four years of backlog.

"Give me that, and okay Susan can stay at the UN and I'll put Kerry in State.

"Deal?"

(otherwise... I'd been pretty neutral about Susan Rice, but now all this bullshit from the Three Amigos makes me think he should hardball it through, otherwise he'd be rewarding petty intransigence.)

42 Killgore Trout  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:15:49pm

Egypt draft constitution limits presidential terms

The assembly drafting Egypt's new constitution voted on Thursday to limit the president's term of office to two four-year terms, ending the system of unlimited tenure during the era of ousted president Hosni Mubarak, who ruled for 30 years.

Members of the assembly approved the article in a final vote before the constitution draft is put to a public referendum within 15 days of the president's ratification.

Translation: accept the new constitution or Morsi remains in power.

43 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:15:53pm

re: #41 sagehen

"Give me that, and okay Susan can stay at the UN and I'll put Kerry in State.

"Deal?"

Has Obama even officially mentioned Rice as a candidate to replace Clinton as SoS? I have the impression that this is part of the whole Mt Everest sized molehill constructed by the Party of Obama Obstruction.

44 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:17:15pm

Oww, arguing with "postfan10" over there makes my head hurt, the man is impervious to fact based reality.

45 Lidane  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:17:23pm

re: #38 HappyWarrior

They really want to make this Obama's Watergate bad. Fucking hacks.

Just like they wanted to make Whitewater the Clinton Watergate.

Thing is, this time there's no stained blue dress, no affair with an intern, and no deposition in an ongoing witch hunt of a lawsuit.

46 EPR-radar  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:17:29pm

re: #41 sagehen

"Give me that, and okay Susan can stay at the UN and I'll put Kerry in State.

"Deal?"

I like the hardball approach across the board.

For example, the debt ceiling is easy --- Congress has passed inconsistent laws (spending bills that conflict with the debt ceiling). It is impossible for Obama to execute inconsistent laws, so he gets to choose which ones to follow. May as well make the choice that is likelier to cause coronaries in the House GOP delegation. Reference to the 16th amendment could be used to rub salt in the wounds.

47 Charles Johnson  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:18:25pm

OT: I'm loving our new auto-hyphenation feature. I know most people probably won't even notice it, but to me it greatly enhances the readability when the lines are more even in length.

48 Lidane  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:18:45pm

re: #43 Feline Fearless Leader

I keep waiting for POTUS to announce that he's nominating Jon Huntsman or someone else for State, just to fuck with the Republican leadership.

49 HappyWarrior  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:19:52pm

re: #48 Lidane

There was something I saw yesterday about Chuck Hagel being vetted for a national security job.

50 Bulworth  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:20:15pm
the Party of Obama Obstruction.

Heh, indeedy.

51 Gus  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:20:57pm
52 Sol Berdinowitz  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:22:04pm

Gotta try it. Have we had a thread discussing the topic of andisestablishmentarianism? And the problems of prestidigitationality? I want protopaleonontolical proof!

53 erik_t  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:23:35pm

WellnowI'vegottotestthissystemwithareallylongrunonsentenceapparentlyoratleastIneedtotryitinpreview.

54 erik_t  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:23:48pm

re: #53 erik_t

That didn't really do what I expected.

55 Killgore Trout  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:24:22pm
56 Sol Berdinowitz  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:24:43pm

not for me, either...Charles, get your minions back on it!!!

57 HappyWarrior  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:24:51pm

re: #51 Gus

I have to say, Obama's a better man than I would be. If I were Obama, I'd never want to see Mitt Romney ever again.

58 engineer cat  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:24:54pm

also, i think progressives should be careful not to lose the valuable goodwill of morons, klansmen, and nazis

59 Lidane  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:25:57pm

re: #49 HappyWarrior

Hagel would be interesting. He's conservative but not a raving lunatic, IIRC. That means the RWNJs will absolutely hate him on principle.

60 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:26:16pm

I think GOP good will is supposed to work like trickle down economics. You take whatever you get and be happy about it!

61 erik_t  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:26:35pm

re: #57 HappyWarrior

I'm not even Obama, and I never want to see Mitt Romney ever again.

62 Lidane  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:26:44pm

re: #57 HappyWarrior

Shorter Obama: "See this office? It's mine for another four years. :)"

Heh.

63 HappyWarrior  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:27:47pm

re: #59 Lidane

They really do need more like him in their caucus. Honestly, if he wasn't so old, I think Lugar would be someone that would be considered. He and Obama are personal friends I believe and they worked together on one of Obama's first legislative acts when he joined the Senate.

64 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:28:03pm

re: #59 Lidane

Hagel would just be another RINOplasty subject - the GOP "pure" cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

65 Charles Johnson  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:28:18pm

re: #53 erik_t

Chrome doesn't support the hyphenation CSS tags yet. It works only in Firefox and Safari.

66 HappyWarrior  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:28:34pm

re: #61 erik_t

I'm not even Obama, and I never want to see Mitt Romney ever again.

No kidding. I don't miss his condescending bullshit at all. November's been a cold month here but it's been nice not having to see Mitt Romney on my TV screen.

67 EPR-radar  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:40:02pm

What's next for the Washington Post?

Race analysis from the Unicorn Derby?

The weather report for Atlantis?

Map directions to the fountain of youth?

68 sagehen  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 1:08:18pm

re: #57 HappyWarrior

Not even to rub his nose in it? You're a better man than I.

69 I Am Kreniigh!  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 1:15:08pm

re: #32 watching you tiny alien kittens are

I'm scratching my head over that. Surely Obama would nominate someone else if he gave in to their tactics, rather than lose a Senate seat? It's like the 'steps to profit' meme:

1. Rice blocked
2. ...
3. Kerry appointed, seat vacated!!!

70 John Q  Thu, Nov 29, 2012 2:40:24pm

Ah, WaPo.

Continuing to live up to its moniker of "Fox on 15th St."

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
For about 33 cents a day (per month) or 22 cents a day (per year), our subscription option turns off all advertisements at LGF!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2014-03-07 2:19 pm PST

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
aagcobb
Ben Mathis-Lilley, Slate: New York Electoral College: State Joins National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Instead of pushing for a Constitutional amendment, which would have to be ratified in 38 states, advocates ask individual state legislatures to pass an agreement: that they'll pledge all their presidential electors to the winner of the national popular vote as soon as enough other states pass the law to ...

14 minutes ago
Views: 7 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
palmerskiss
These 5 Countries Are Crushing the Whole Gender Equality Thing at Home
When looking at this data, it's important to remember that gender equality isn't just about women working more paid hours or doing less housework. It's also about men cutting back their work hours to pitch in more around the house. Countries that have lighter workweeks, in fact, tend to have a more equal distribution between men and women in the home. The OECD ...

5 hours, 1 minute ago
Views: 107 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Randall Gross
Planned Anti-Gay Rally in Ethiopia Is Cancelled
A planned anti-gay rally that would have made Ethiopia the latest African country to demonize gays has been cancelled, officials said Wednesday. In addition, plans by the legislature to add gay sex to a list of crimes not eligible for presidential pardons has been dropped, said Redwan Hussein, a government spokesman. Hostility toward gays across Africa is high. Uganda and Nigeria increased penalties ...

Views: 50 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
FemNaziBitch
When Evangelicals Were Pro-Choice - GOPlifer
Jamelle Bouie had a great piece at Slate last week explaining the long strange journey of Protestant Evangelicals from pressing for the expansion of abortion rights to vehement opposition to nearly every aspect of women's reproductive choices. Bouie correctly identifies the trend, but he misses an important pivot point that calls the rest of his analysis into question. Bouie correctly points out that ...

Views: 99 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
cycroft
Russ Campbell’s Blog: Will Trudeau’s Party Pay for His Ill-Chosen Words?
Justin Trudeau has talked him­self into a defama­tion law­suit that is likely to leave his party quite a bit lighter in the wal­let. The shoot-from-the-lip Lib­eral leader and his On­tario cam­paign co-chair David Mac­Naughton are named in a $1.5-mil­lion li­bel suit filed on be­half of Chris­tine Innes, a can­di­date who was barred from run­ning for the Lib­eral party. Innes had wanted to con­test ...

Views: 51 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Political Atheist
The Insane History of Rockets at Jet Propulsion Laboratories
The Rocket Boys In the late 1930s, a group of Caltech graduate students were booted off campus after blowing up (part of!) their building during a rocket test gone awry. Unwilling to give up on the joy of semi-controlled explosions, the students and a few of their friends headed into the San Gabriel Mountains. They picked a deserted gully -- Arroyo Seco -- ...

Views: 124 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
iossarian
Drug Companies Want Your Money
Two thematically-related stories on the BBC at the moment: UK drug company Glaxo 'paid bribes to Polish doctors' UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama has discovered. Tamiflu: Millions wasted on flu drug, claims major report Hundreds of millions of pounds may have been wasted on a drug for flu that works no better ...

Views: 177 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 8 • Rating: 0
steve_davis
Skyline Pigeon
Your text to link...

Views: 229 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 4
Dark_Falcon
Presenting the Tracking Point AR series of rifles
Tracking Point has finally gotten their system to work with the AR-10 and AR-15 platforms. Now available in 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm and 300 AAC Blackout (a longer ranged 5.56 derivative). Hopefully, the Army and Marines can find the money for some of these, for these rifles will give our designated marksmen a real advantage in combat. They are also available for civilian sale, though at ...

Views: 380 • Comments: 4
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
MichaelJ
2014 Drug Aware Margaret River Pro - ASP
More: 2014 Drug Aware Margaret River Pro - ASP Round 5 is going to be all about getting barreled. This is going to be good.

Views: 266 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 0
 Frank says:

I'd like to know who's Plunkin' the monkeys? -- It was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. I can't remember the year maybe 10 years ago? They were talking about AIDS and how AIDS all got started, he had 3 theory's. First Frank said something about AIDS being a government test gone wrong Then maybe it was an Alien (ET) test or mistake and finally they talked about the theory of AIDS coming from a monkey and then Frank said " I'd like to know who's plunkin' the monkey's?"