TwitterFacebook

1 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:31:19pm

Testimony from an expert on irrelevancy - we've reached the moebius strip of derp.

2 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:31:38pm

Authentic Frontier Gibberish.

3 GeneJockey  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:32:12pm
Just think, she could have been Vice President

Worse - Cranky McAngry might have blown a fuse and she would have been...

Would have been...

No, I can't say it!

4 Achilles Tang  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:32:41pm

Maybe she has a plan C?

5 Skip Intro  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:32:45pm

So how much longer does she have her Fox contract?

6 The Ghost of a Flea  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:33:07pm

On the other hand, it's pretty impressive that they got an albatross to say human words. Or maybe she's more of a millstone.

7 Randall Gross  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:35:38pm
Well a Babylon girl ain't got no past
The Babylon girl got's to talk so fast
The Babylon men gonna be a boy
With the Babylon girl out looking for a joy
(In) Babylon

... she's just got to babble on.

8 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:37:49pm

I am glad she wasn't around back when Hitler was alive because Hitler being man of the year would go totally over her shallow brain. Even if you don't like Obama, Time made a decent argument for him being Man of the Year. So glad that we only have to deal with this woman's stupidity on cable news rather than being a heartbeat from the WH. We dodged a bullet in 2008 people. A big one.

9 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:38:44pm

I will return to Sister Sarah the idiot in a sec, but this, THIS from the token RWNJ I follow. Most times I'm puking at her tweets/retweets, about to hit the unfollow button. But ah, sweet rewards.

10 EPR-radar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:42:00pm

Semi-literate Constitution-thumper says what?

Here's the first of about 100,000,000 clues that you desperately need, Sarah Palin. "Unconstitutional" is not a synonym for "I disagree with it".

11 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:44:26pm

This was the location of my universal translator.
Image: Sedan_Plowshare_Crater.jpg
Thanks, Sarah.

12 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:44:42pm

Why I tell ya'. Time Magazine is so irrelevant they even picked me one year as being an influential person in politics. How did that work our for me aye?

13 lawhawk  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:45:01pm

Well, isn't that something. After Boehner said he was going to put Plan B to a vote, he had to have a change of plans. Guess his caucus didn't exactly warm up to the plan after all. Not enough support in fact.

14 Joanne  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:45:13pm

Sarah was waiting for pathetic Greta (a Palin ass licker) to prop her up with a, "Are you kidding? You're the best thing to happen to the USA since Reagan!"

15 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:45:13pm

re: #5 Skip Intro

So how much longer does she have her Fox contract?

I think it's up at end of year. She hasn't been around in a long time. They cut her off before the election. Why now?

16 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:45:25pm

I think Sarah Palin just self-derpricated herself. //

17 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:47:24pm

re: #13 lawhawk

Is their problem with it that it's not hardcore enough?

18 Charles Johnson  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:47:54pm

Boehner screwed the pooch.

19 lawhawk  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:48:43pm

But he's still blaming Obama and Democrats for the failure to get something done.

20 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:49:56pm

Later, lizards.

[Link: i.chzbgr.com...]

22 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:51:49pm

re: #21 Varek Raith

Way to fail.
Boehner's Plan B fiscal cliff bill pulled amid dissension in GOP caucus

How long until we get Speaker Cantor? Boehner obviously can't control his caucus.

23 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:52:21pm

On a different but not wholly unrelated topic, and getting back to one of my subjects from earlier in the year, this month Newsweek, in its fading glory, published a cover article by Bart Ehrman on why the infancy birth narratives of Jesus in the Gospels are not history and not to be taken as true.

As expected, it raised the ire of fundamentalists and evangelicals, who have put out numerous writings and videos denouncing Ehrman yet again. The objectors cite a long list of supposed proofs - all of which have been thoroughly dismissed over many years by many scholars and researchers.

Anyway, point being, is that our society is composed of, in no small part, of a large group of people who are not willing to open engage in discussing the foundations of their worldviews - how they make sense of the world around them.

And the concept of "evidence" is twisted until non-existence is proof of some thing being true.

So, it doesn't surprise me that this same society of ours has broken down in the public, political dialogue, between those who embrace the modern view of evidence, data, and knowledge, and those who cling to beliefs created explicitly to comfort them but full of pitfalls that accompany hiding one's head.

24 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:53:22pm

Boehner screwed the pooch.

Boehner just ended his Speakership. The final vote's not til Jan 3rd, but after tonight, I don't think anybody realistically thinks he's a lock to keep his job. Seriously, if he couldn't get a vote on this bill, even with the blessing of Norquist, how does he expect to get anything Obama would agree to passed?

25 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:55:02pm

Boehner screwed the pooch.

Boehner's a goner.

26 William Barnett-Lewis  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:58:30pm

Cantor's got a Boner...

27 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:59:38pm

Dear, GOP,
We.
Are.
Tired.
Of.
This.
SHIT!

28 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:00:32pm

The biggest egg on Boehner's face? Here's what he was saying 7 hours ago:

Boehner: Obama Can’t Stand Up To His Own Party

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said on Thursday that the reason so-called fiscal cliff negotiations have stalled is that President Obama is having some trouble standing up to his own party on entitlement cuts.

"I'm convinced the president is unwilling to stand up to his own party," Boehner said at a press conference on Capitol Hill.

29 Iwouldprefernotto  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:00:58pm

re: #25 Gus

Boehner's a goner.

They need a real conservative......

30 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:01:11pm

re: #28 Targetpractice

The biggest egg on Boehner's face? Here's what he was saying 7 hours ago:

Boehner: Obama Can’t Stand Up To His Own Party

My irony meter just initiated cold fusion.
WTF.

31 jamesfirecat  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:01:36pm

So will the newspaper headlines discussing this event refer to it as Boehner's Boner? Don't worry pic is SFW.

32 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:01:38pm

re: #27 Varek Raith

Dear, GOP,
We.
Are.
Tired.
Of.
This.
SHIT!

They seem to think the American people actually like this crap. Would love for the American people in the midterms to return them to their minority party status in the House but given how incumbency is, I wouldn't bet on it even if it looks like it will be a Democratic year. We really fucked up giving them the House in 2010.

33 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:02:37pm

re: #28 Targetpractice

The biggest egg on Boehner's face? Here's what he was saying 7 hours ago:

Boehner: Obama Can’t Stand Up To His Own Party

Yeah, I saw that here. I thought it was pretty funny coming from someone who lives in cowering fear of his own caucus. And it turned out to be true too.

34 EPR-radar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:03:50pm

re: #32 HappyWarrior

The real pain in 2010 was at the state level, where the GOP made serious gains in state houses. 2010 being a census year, they were able to lock in much of the gains via redistricting.

35 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:04:32pm

re: #32 HappyWarrior

They seem to think the American people actually like this crap.

Not really their concern. To many of those Republican congressmen, their constituency are behind them solidly. Note that the reelection of Obama brought only small changes to the House, partly through redistricting, but also because the hardest hard core of the tea partying right show up to vote, while the young trendy types that love Obama will skip voting in mid terms.

I don't look forward to the 2014 elections.

36 Political Atheist  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:04:44pm

Oh boy. Just got a call from my Dad who keeps falling for the Faux News crap. He's all full of whatever they are saying today. I snapped and cussed him out for trying to lecture me again with a pack of lies.

Almost instantly I reminded myself of who I was talking to, apologized profusely. Three times. On the up side we made arrangements for Christmas dinner with a promise of no politics.

A few times I have printed out charts and graphs and Pages to show him how empty of real content his favorite news source is. Then he watches the news again for a week or so and it's on again.

Well this time dinner at a steak joint will be on me.

But I still feel like a heel. Coming from Dad it just kills me.

37 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:05:14pm

re: #34 EPR-radar

Yep. Really if I have a beef with the Democratic base, it's that they don't turn out as much in non presidential election years. The off year elections and midterms are just as important for the country.

38 Joanne  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:05:14pm

re: #32 HappyWarrior

Boy, you can sure say that again. And gerrymandering will screw us for a decade or more.

39 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:05:59pm

AND....again, Sister Sarah is pushed out of the "news"

PHEW

40 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:06:48pm

re: #29 Iwouldprefernotto

They need a real conservative......

Obviously. Real conservatives always win.

41 Skip Intro  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:07:03pm

re: #29 Iwouldprefernotto

They need a real conservative......

How about Louie Gohmert ? He's crazy enough for the baggers, and as a bonus his last name almost sounds the same as Boehner.

42 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:07:23pm

Fail.

43 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:08:23pm

re: #42 Gus

Fail.

They really need to find someone good to challenge him in 2014 for his district. That guy needs to be running scared for his political life.

44 EPR-radar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:08:26pm

re: #42 Gus

Fail.

"When needed"? OK. They can adjourn until the midterm election results of 2014 are in.

45 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:10:00pm

re: #42 Gus

Fail.

Boehner needs some time to lick his wounds.

46 jamesfirecat  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:10:40pm

re: #37 HappyWarrior

I'm Incumbency Bob and have you heard the news?
The way the system works there ain't no way I can lose....

47 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:11:07pm

re: #11 Varek Raith

This was the location of my universal translator.
Image: Sedan_Plowshare_Crater.jpg
Thanks, Sarah.

That, or there's a very big ant lion down there. Probably eats trucks and idiots looking for hidden flying saucers.
;)

48 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:11:40pm
49 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:12:20pm

I wonder if Boehner's getting tired of the nuts within his own caucus.

50 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:12:25pm
51 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:13:22pm

Ha ha, yelling.

52 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:13:52pm

re: #43 HappyWarrior

Remember stray bullet Cantor?

53 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:14:15pm

re: #48 Stanghazi

"Quite literally"?

Which is the "literal":

"left"
"Capitol building"
"Boehner"

??

54 lawhawk  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:14:37pm

The guy who was in a Marine uniform outside a school turned out to have exaggerated his rank and service. Outstanding.

55 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:14:37pm

re: #52 Stanghazi

Remember stray bullet Cantor?

No, sorry. Refresh my memory. I know he resides in one of the most safest districts in the state of Virginia.

56 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:14:54pm

re: #52 Stanghazi

Remember stray bullet Cantor?

Or the Va quake that was centered in his district as he was calling for no disaster relief without offsets nonsense?

57 [deleted]  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:15:28pm
58 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:16:11pm

re: #55 HappyWarrior

[Link: voices.washingtonpost.com...]

59 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:16:20pm

re: #57 Iwouldprefernotto

Am I a bad person?

Every time I see a picture of Eric Cantor smiling I just want to smack him across the face.

He annoys me because he's such a partisan hack and he's the most powerful member of Congress from my state.

60 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:16:31pm

re: #54 lawhawk

Twit.

61 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:16:54pm

More on the "massacre of the innocents" being brought up in response to the Newtown massacre:

Is Matthew's "Death of Innocents" Episode Wholesale Invention?

The dark side of religion?

62 bratwurst  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:17:24pm
63 HappyWarrior  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:17:27pm

re: #58 Varek Raith

[Link: voices.washingtonpost.com...]

Oh yeah, I do. He's such an asshole. I dislike him more than I do Boehner. Boehner seems to at least want a solution. Cantor cares only about obstructing Obama and doing the Tea PArty's bidding.

64 EPR-radar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:17:30pm

re: #57 Iwouldprefernotto

Am I a bad person?

Nope. Since he looks like he'd dump anyone down an elevator shaft if there was $0.02 in it for him (and votes accordingly), self defense would apply.

65 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:18:08pm
66 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:19:05pm

re: #56 Varek Raith

WE WILL REBUILD!!!

67 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:19:13pm

re: #65 Gus

Oh yeah, tomorrow's gonna be interesting on Wall Street. Look out below!

68 Charles Johnson  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:19:18pm
69 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:20:14pm

Winning!

71 Vicious Michigan Union Thug  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:23:34pm

re: #61 freetoken

Is Matthew's "Death of Innocents" Episode Wholesale Invention?

The dark side of religion?

According to Josephus, Herod did seek out and destroy any descendants of the Hashmonean priestly dynasty who would have been rivals to his throne. So that would have been historically correct. However Herod would not have been interested in the peasant class unless he thought they were fomenting a rebellion. Matthew co-opted Herod's destruction of the priestly caste who were his rivals, with a generic massacre that fit his own narrative.

72 Iwouldprefernotto  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:23:50pm

Did I delete my comment #57?

Was it deleted by Aliens?

Did Eric Cantor get to you?

73 dragonath  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:24:00pm

Wow, the Republican caucus has no discipline. They literally just fell over themselves trying to stick it to Obama.

74 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:27:44pm

re: #71 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

One perspective on the origins of the Gospels, I think serious enough to hold up, is that the "Gospel of Matthew" (which no where claims to be written by a "Matthew") was cobbled together (at the end of the 1st century) from the earlier "Mark" or "Q" with the express intention of writing in more Jewish references, including writing Herod into the story to make it more "Jewish".

75 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:28:11pm

Apparently Mark Levin was the guy Boehner chose to do his arm-twisting, and he was threatening committee chairmanships and assignments of anybody who wouldn't change their vote to support "Plan B."

76 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:28:23pm

I'm not listening to Sarah. I don't have to and I'm not going to.

77 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:28:28pm
78 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:29:46pm

re: #77 Gus

To listen to the Freepers, that seems to be the case. They're thrilled they got the cuts through, but think Boehner should have gone whole-hog and put up a bill to make all the tax cuts permanent and dared Obama not to sign it.

79 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:30:05pm

re: #66 Kragar

WE WILL REBUILD!!!

Yeah, yeah.
You west coasters dissing us for the earthquake.
That's why I'll send a Cat 2 your way!
No need to thank me.
/:P

80 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:30:58pm

New Zealand is still there. Hasn't been poofed away.

It's Blustery and Wet in my part of the world tho.

I'm not sure we are safe yet . . .

81 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:31:35pm

re: #72 Iwouldprefernotto

Posts like that are a no-no.
Go to your room.

82 lawhawk  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:32:25pm

After GOPers in Congress were saying that they weren't going to fund the President's $60b Sandy recovery plan, and came up with a plan that provided just $20b, Gov. Christie just came out and said that he's calling on Congress to pass the full $60b plan because recovery wont come without it.

Oh, and he probably pissed off the gun lobby today because he's open to some form of gun control.

83 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:32:30pm

re: #80 Holidays are Family Fun Time

New Zealand is still there. Hasn't been poofed away.

It's Blustery and Wet in my part of the world tho.

I'm not sure we are safe yet . . .

No, I set the timer for the EoW device to prime time EST.

84 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:33:11pm

re: #82 lawhawk

Well, he won't be the 2016 nominee.

85 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:33:25pm

re: #83 Varek Raith

No, I set the timer for the EoW device to prime time EST.

Did you syncronize it with the Atomic Clock?

86 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:33:38pm

re: #85 Holidays are Family Fun Time

Did you syncronize it with the Atomac Clock?

Yep.

87 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:33:52pm

re: #82 lawhawk

throwing bones . . .

88 goddamnedfrank  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:33:54pm

re: #84 freetoken

Well, he won't be the 2016 nominee.

He won't even be the 2016 nominee's ball washer.

89 lawhawk  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:34:04pm

re: #80 Holidays are Family Fun Time

Give it some time. It's not quite 12/21 in Mayan standard time. /

90 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:35:45pm
91 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:36:07pm

I have no presents wrapped or under the tree.

I think I'm going with gift cards purchased at the local drug store this year.

92 Varek Raith  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:36:30pm

re: #90 Gus

Slackers.

93 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:36:57pm

re: #90 Gus

That was the 14th. Earlier this evening...

Eric Cantor's walk of shame after humiliating Plan B failure

94 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:38:51pm

DOW futures now at -209.00

Continues a slow drop.

[Link: www.bloomberg.com...]

95 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:40:22pm

re: #88 goddamnedfrank

He won't even be the 2016 nominee's ball washer.

I can fantasize that he calls on the sane Republicans and "independents" (or just all Republicans) to storm the primaries and take them back from the Bircher/Tea-KKK/Fox-Coulter-Beck-Limbaugh-lobotomy zombies.

96 goddamnedfrank  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:41:22pm

How about a tax write off covering the purchase of a gun safe?

97 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:42:38pm

Any Republican bill named after an abortion pill was doomed to fail.

98 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:43:06pm
99 Joanne  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:48:47pm

re: #65 Gus

There's your 2012pocolypse! 300 points

100 b_sharp  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:59:29pm

re: #99 Joanne

There's your 2012pocolypse! 300 points

What are we doing with an economic system based on emotion?

101 Dark_Falcon  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 7:04:24pm

re: #8 HappyWarrior

Time had a decent argument, but I still think the title should have gone to Mohammad Morsi. The problem is not enough Americans know who he is and what he's done.

102 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 7:11:04pm

Reality check. I'm sharing here because I'm totally helpless at the moment.

My old roommate, who saved me when I needed a place STAT, in an accident last night while visiting family in Portland area. Brain surgery. Her family up there are not connected to us here who are totally freaking out.

103 Ming  Fri, Dec 21, 2012 8:24:27am

I was a registered Republican for 25 years, until 2009, and I hope they heal themselves, soon. But at some point, Republicans must confront the fact, unfortunate fact as it is, that they nominated Sarah Palin for Vice President of the United States. It won't be pretty. We all make big mistakes. (I made a very major mistake in my own life a few weeks ago, and I feel terrible about it.) But as unpleasant as it will be, Republicans simply must deal with this. Palin's mental illness has been all over TV, all over the world, for a long time now. Too long! Republicans cannot heal their party without CONFRONTING their great mistake of 2008.

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
For about 33 cents a day (per month) or 22 cents a day (per year), our subscription option turns off all advertisements at LGF!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2014-03-07 2:19 pm PST

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
palmerskiss
Denmark Shows the World How to Stop Mass Medicating Animals
COPENHAGAN, Denmark -- Michael Nielsen unlocks the door to his pig factory. He doffs his jacket, pants and muddy boots and zips on white coveralls. Then he steps into the maze-like complex housing several thousand pigs. From the birthing room -- where one enormous sow has just delivered 22 squirming piglets -- to the insemination stalls where the next generation is in the ...

1 hour, 1 minute ago
Views: 42 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Randall Gross
Fraternity Closes Chapter Following Vandalism of Statue
The chapter that might secretly want to wear pointy hoods to their toga parties... In the pre-dawn hours of Feb. 16, vandals placed a noose around the neck of the statue and draped over its face a pre-2003 Georgia state flag with a Confederate battle emblem. Three freshmen fraternity members from Georgia, whose names haven't been released, were accused in the incident. They were ...

Views: 68 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
MichaelJ
Live now - 2014 Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach - ASP World Tour
More: 2014 Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach - ASP Iconic Bells Beach in Victoria, Australia once again hosts the world's best surfers for the 41st running of the Bells Beach Contest. New feature in this broadcast: drone cam!

Views: 86 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 2 • Rating: 0
cycroft
Russ Campbell’s Blog: Fiscal Conservatism Seems Alive and Well in Ottawa: 8,900 Public Service Jobs to Be Cut
When Con­ser­v­a­tives un­der Stephen Harper took of­fice in 2006, I was dis­ap­pointed at how much they re­sem­bled their pre­de­ces­sors when it came to their pen­chant for in­creas­ing the size of gov­ern­ment. More: Russ Campbell's Blog: Fiscal Conservatism Seems Alive and Well in Ottawa: 8,900 Public Service Jobs to Be Cut

Views: 80 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Skip Intro
Why the Temperature of the Yellow Sea Is a Big Deal, and Other Questions About the South Korean Ferry Disaster
The boat ran into trouble several dozen miles from Jindo, an island that sticks out of South Korea's southwestern corner like a little toe. Jindo is surrounded by a group of even smaller islands that are slightly farther afield from the mainland. The ferry was curving around those small islands at the time it issued a distress call. What caused the disaster? We ...

Views: 196 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 20 • Rating: 0
FemNaziBitch
Bystander Effect, or Why This Week Has Been Really Scary
And if you have a friend or loved one who's survived an assault, here's a short list of things you should and shouldn't do to help out. Because if I've learned anything over the past few days, it's that watching someone you care for go through something like this can make you feel unbelievably helpless. But, in spite of that feeling, there are ...

Views: 162 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 0
Idle Drifter
Calgary stabbings: How knife crime in Canada can cause ‘moral panic’
What Calgary police chief Rick Hanson called the "worst mass murder" in the city's history didn't end at the barrel of a gun. Instead, the 22-year-old suspect identified on Tuesday as Matthew de Grood is accused of entering the kitchen at a house party, taking "a large knife" and using it to fatally stab four men and one woman, all of whom were students ...

Views: 181 • Comments: 4
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
aagcobb
Ben Mathis-Lilley, Slate: New York Electoral College: State Joins National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Instead of pushing for a Constitutional amendment, which would have to be ratified in 38 states, advocates ask individual state legislatures to pass an agreement: that they'll pledge all their presidential electors to the winner of the national popular vote as soon as enough other states pass the law to ...

2 days, 1 hour ago
Views: 196 • Comments: 7
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
Political Atheist
The Insane History of Rockets at Jet Propulsion Laboratories
The Rocket Boys In the late 1930s, a group of Caltech graduate students were booted off campus after blowing up (part of!) their building during a rocket test gone awry. Unwilling to give up on the joy of semi-controlled explosions, the students and a few of their friends headed into the San Gabriel Mountains. They picked a deserted gully -- Arroyo Seco -- ...

Views: 231 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
iossarian
Drug Companies Want Your Money
Two thematically-related stories on the BBC at the moment: UK drug company Glaxo 'paid bribes to Polish doctors' UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama has discovered. Tamiflu: Millions wasted on flu drug, claims major report Hundreds of millions of pounds may have been wasted on a drug for flu that works no better ...

Views: 248 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 8 • Rating: 0
 Frank says:

There were 45 men in the jail cell, the toilet and shower had never been cleaned, the temperature was 110 degrees so you couldn't sleep night or day, there were roaches in the oatmeal, sadistic guards, and everything that was nice. -- Zappa 1969 interview. This had happened during the days of Studio Z in Cucamonga (1963). Frank was released on bail (his father took out a bank loan to pay for it). Frank had been busted for "conspiracy to commit pornography," after making a silly recording of suggestive sexual sounds (giggling edited out) for someone who had asked him to provide a "special" tape recording for a stag night. That someone turned out to be Detective Willis of the San Bernadino Vice Squad. Their conversation was recorded by a hidden microphone and this was used as evidence at Zappa's trial.