TwitterFacebook

Short Film: Varanasi, India: ‘Beyond’

Something completely different
Arts • Views: 24,104

“BEYOND” is an exclusive documentary featuring photographer Joey L. Set in Varanasi, India. The documentary by filmmaker Cale Glendening follows Joey and his assistant Ryan as they complete their latest photo series- “Holy Men.”

Almost every major religion breeds ascetics; wandering monks who have renounced all earthly possessions, dedicating their lives to the pursuit of spiritual liberation.Their reality is dictated only by the mind, not material objects. Even death is not a fearsome concept, but a passing from the world of illusion.

Created by: Cale Glendening, Joey L., Ryan McCarney
Directed by: Cale Glendening
Edit/Color: Chris Dowsett, Cale Glendening, Joey L., Megan Miller, John Carrington
Graphic/Titles: James Zanoni
Original Score: Stephen Keech,Tony Anderson
All Photographs: Joey L.
Guiding/Translation: Raju Verma, Tejinder Singh

Special Thanks: Jesica Bruzzi / BH Photo, Kessler Crane

caleglendening.com
joeyl.com

1 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:05:29pm

Joey L. Just turned 23. Damn...

2 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:09:31pm

Quite the rage right now. Not hard to see why. Link

3 Kragar  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:30:31pm

Police hunt man who threatened shooting at San Francisco Bay Area mosque

Police in California are looking for a man who reportedly walked into a California mosque saying he had a gun and threatened to kill everyone, a spokeswoman said.

The man entered the Ibrahim Khalilullah Islamic Center in Fremont, south of San Francisco, during afternoon prayer Wednesday, said mosque leaders, urging official action to track down the man.

According to witnesses, a “white male in his thirties entered the IKI Center Mosque during prayer, and shouted that he had a gun and wanted to kill everyone. When confronted, the male left,” said a police spokeswoman.

4 Four More Tears  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:34:41pm

re: #3 Kragar

Police hunt man who threatened shooting at San Francisco Bay Area mosque

The obvious Right response to this is that Muslims should have more guns to defend themselves with, no?

5 The Ghost of a Flea  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:41:09pm
6 ProMayaLiberal  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:47:54pm

In regards to the referendum in Egypt:

It was going to pass, the MB wasn't going to let it not pass. They have armed goons to help them.

7 The Ghost of a Flea  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:52:11pm
8 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:52:43pm

re: #4 Four More Tears

Those them who wish to have a gun to protect themselves should be able to have one. But since its just threats so far, the needed direct response is for the police to find and arrest this asshole. Send him up the bay a ways to San Quentin.

9 engineer cat  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:53:24pm

been enjoying my vacation day snug with a fire while it rains outside and my human companion applies magic potions to her face in preparation for the party by looking at the work of illustrators of the late 19th an early 20th century - so much more appealing than the fine artists of the same period

ernest bieler

carl larsson

thomas cooper gotch

kay neilson

10 ProMayaLiberal  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 4:55:51pm

re: #8 Dark_Falcon

I would use the law as a cudgel against this guy.

He threatens and intimidates people based on faith. Charge him for intimidating each individual person in that mosque.

I know the Mosque I went to in OKC, with my wonderful Imam had room for 1000+ in prayers.

Do the math.

11 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:00:07pm

re: #10 ProMayaLiberal

I would use the law as a cudgel against this guy.

Do the math.

Most aren't that big. But your point is taken. Thankfully, the police are on the case and I'm sure the mosque will have extra security.

12 CuriousLurker  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:02:22pm

re: #4 Four More Tears

Heh.

13 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:02:32pm

Damn. That was fantastic.

14 ProMayaLiberal  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:02:58pm

re: #11 Dark_Falcon

True, but I think that one might be, considering that is in San Francisco and its metroplex. San Francisco is both bigger and more important that OKC, so I could see the punishment for that kind of chucklefuckery going into the Hundreds of Years.

15 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:05:56pm

Oh. I'm back on Earth.

16 CuriousLurker  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:08:27pm

A pretty good response to Huckabee's comments yesterday:

[...] It’s actually quite radical what Huckabee just proposed. He didn’t propose just having prayer in America’s public school system, but apparently now government employees in public schools are supposed to teach your kids responsibility and accountability by letting them know that they’re going to have to face God after they die, so they’d better do their homework and not shoot up the entire class.

WTF?

Conservatives, who are always preaching about the family, and about the evils of big government, now say it’s the government’s job to teach your kids responsibility and accountability – for starters – but the schools are supposed to do it religiously.

How exactly would that work? Would first grade teachers have to go the seminary? Should the government test teachers on whether they have the “right” religious knowledge – that’d be interesting. And what do teachers do if the class contains some Mormons, some Baptists, some Catholics, and some Muslims? I mean, the Baptists think the Catholics are (literally) Satan-worshippers. So what if the teacher’s a Catholic – are the Baptists going to be put up with that? Doubtful. Or even better, what if the teacher’s a Muslim – can you imagine the Fox News Huckabees of the world, Michele Bachmann among them, accepting a Muslim teaching our “Christian” kindergartners about the one true God? Holy creeping Sharia, Batman! Never gonna happen.

Here’s a crazy idea: How about their parents teach them all of that? [...]

[Link: americablog.com...]

17 Charles Johnson  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:10:15pm

re: #13 Gus

Damn. That was fantastic.

The film?

18 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:10:25pm

re: #14 ProMayaLiberal

No, I'd have his sentences run concurrently, but with no parole. So if he gets 5 years he serves all 5 years. I'd set sentence, were the decision mine, at 7 years. If that man indeed has a gun, I'd add on the gun charges, with those two types of offense being 'strikes' 1 and 2 under CA law. And lastly, if he has a gun(s), I'd go Puritan on him and make him watch as those guns were destroyed by power saw. This last should be read as an act of symbolic emasculation, which in my mind would have a deterrent value for other bigots.

19 wrenchwench  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:10:46pm

Next Friday we're getting the internets delivered to our house, which has been equipped with a laptop that runs Windows 8 and has lots of MBs and RAMS and stuff, maybe even some GBs. In other words, I will be able to watch videos such as the one posted at the top. Yay!

I will be watching many videos at home, but still very few at work for some more months.

20 CuriousLurker  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:11:41pm

re: #19 wrenchwench

Woohoo, finally!

21 Mattand  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:12:55pm

re: #19 wrenchwench

So is it AOL or Compuserv?

22 CuriousLurker  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:14:40pm

The film?

I don't know if that's what Gus was talking about, but it prompted me to scrub through the timeline, so I assume it is. That's it--now I have to go make a pot of coffee and snuggle up with my iPad to watch the whole film, which looks fantastic and right up my alley. Thanks!

23 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:14:45pm

The film?

Yes. I sat back and watched the whole thing through in full screen. Excellent. I was drawn in and felt like I was on "vacation" with them. I was taken in mostly by the people of Varanasi.

24 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:15:32pm

Watch it. Full screen with headphones. :D

25 wrenchwench  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:16:11pm

re: #21 Mattand

So is it AOL or Compuserv?

Tee hee! That was a funny, right? Last time we had internet at home it was AOL. I wasn't even an LGF reader back then.

26 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:16:15pm

Bhang: marijuana milkshake.

27 CuriousLurker  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:17:36pm

re: #24 Gus

Watch it. Full screen with headphones. :D

Yeah, now you've made me think maybe I should opt for the 23" full screen 1280p option instead of the iPad.... Headphones, good idea. Thx. ;)

28 freetoken  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:18:40pm

In other news, I see that the intentional leak of Kerry being the SoS nominee is getting lots of attention.

I think this is a bad move, strategically, not just for control of the Senate but even more fundamentally for not bringing up fresh blood into the inner circles of the Administration and American foreign policy.

My suspicion is that the President is relying too much on political closeness and not trying to plow new ground and develop new talent.

This is the same problem the Democrats have had for many years (e.g., in keeping Pelosi as the top Democrat in the House.)

29 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:19:36pm

re: #27 CuriousLurker

How's things in Jersey?

30 PhillyPretzel  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:19:45pm

After having only PC's this MacBook Pro is taking some getting used to. I still have to get a driver for my HP 832c and my Nikon CoolPix L20.

31 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:19:47pm

re: #28 freetoken

It's classic DC "don't upset the party applecart".

32 Charles Johnson  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:20:05pm

re: #23 Gus

Yeah, this is an exceptional film. The photos are incredible too.

[Link: www.joeyl.com...]

33 Stanghazi  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:20:20pm

re: #19 wrenchwench

PULEEZE don't stop your usual "later lizards" post.

34 Political Atheist  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:21:15pm

The film beautifully shows people of sincere faith. Faith that might include some ancient texts. Texts that reflect ancient culture and views.
I hate to see the likes of Phelps and Fischer make people so angry they deride religion on general. Or a religion in particular.

In the film I see sincerity, faith and beauty. Well done by some fine young talent. These guys are good. I think we will see more from them, I sure hope so.

35 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:21:28pm

Thanks so much for posting this film, Charles. I just recently heard about Joey L. and his work. His few years on Earth are not reflected in his work which looks like they were shot by a seasoned vet like Robert Seale.

36 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:21:49pm

Yeah, this is an exceptional film. The photos are incredible too.

[Link: www.joeyl.com...]

What's the still camera he was using?

37 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:21:53pm

Robert Seale:

Link

38 Charles Johnson  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:22:31pm

re: #36 Gus

What's the still camera he was using?

What's in My Camera Bag? | Joey L.

39 wrenchwench  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:23:17pm

re: #33 Stanghazi

PULEEZE don't stop your usual "later lizards" post.

You mean I can do "Later, lizards", and then "I'm baaack!"?

40 dragonath  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:23:22pm

Heh, helps to have a passport.

41 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:23:41pm

re: #36 Gus

What's the still camera he was using?

Gus, it's a Phase One. Basically like an old Mamiya medium format; delivers exceptional image quality on that sensor.

42 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:24:02pm

What's in My Camera Bag? | Joey L.

Ah, had it on the scroll down. This one...

Phase One / Mamiya 645 camera
 Phase One basically bought the camera and slapped it's logo on it... It's more or less the same old solid Mamiya system with a few upgrades. This camera's lackluster auto focusing system really frustrates me, but it's the best solution you're going to find in a medium format system at this time.

50K Whew.

43 Stanghazi  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:24:21pm

re: #39 wrenchwench

You mean I can do "Later, lizards", and then "I'm baaack!"?

YEP

44 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:24:44pm

The level of intelligence and curiosity out of Joey L. is what really raised my eyebrows. The work speaks for itself, obviously.

45 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:24:55pm

re: #41 Kid A

80 MP

46 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:25:16pm

re: #42 Gus

Ah, had it on the scroll down. This one...

50K Whew.

And that's not counting the glass.

47 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:25:24pm
48 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:26:36pm

re: #46 Kid A

And that's not counting the glass.

Right. Those long tube things. ;)

49 dragonath  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:26:43pm

HOLY SHIT is that camera expensive!

50 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:26:50pm

Nikon just came out with the D800 DSLR, which crams close to 38MP on that 35mm sensor. It's total overkill; just another way to break into rich amateur's pockets. I'm still shooting my old 5D for portraits, and my Mark III's for sports. Mark III? 10.5 MP, and that is plenty.

51 CuriousLurker  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:27:00pm

re: #29 Gus

How's things in Jersey?

Not bad. The weather's been decent and they've got most of the NJT trains running again, so I can't really complain. ;)

52 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:27:09pm

That's one impressive camera.

53 freetoken  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:27:20pm

re: #42 Gus

Mamiya, like many specialty photographic tool suppliers, did not survive the transition to digital. IMO the Mamiya attempts at digital were half hearted because they knew they were too small of a company to do it right.

The "medium format" camera world basically has gone extinct. Phase One is a relatively new company (by camera company standards) that picked up the pieces. Pentax continues on under now a second new corporate owner, as does "Hasselblad" which now isn't what it used to be.

54 PhillyPretzel  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:27:25pm

re: #51 CuriousLurker

I am happy to hear that. :)

55 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:29:38pm

re: #53 freetoken

Yes, while the fashion world really digs the medium-format in digital, until the prices come down they are going to have to "deal with" 35mm sensors which are exceptional to say the least. It is unreal how photography has changed in just ten years. For better or worse (Instagram, cell phone cameras, Photoshop) is for you to decide.

56 CuriousLurker  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:29:54pm

re: #54 PhillyPretzel

I am happy to hear that. :)

Thx, me too. It sucked having to depend on the buses or pay for a taxi. Got real expensive there for a while.

Okay, lizards, I'm going to watch the film now. Have a good night.

57 dragonath  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:31:20pm

Too bad about Mamiya...

There are a couple of things that didn't survive the transition. I'm a little bummed that the changes took all the cool Kodak papers with it.

58 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:33:13pm

re: #57 dragonath

Too bad about Mamiya...

I wonder if Paul Simon could do a modern version of "Kodachrome." :)

59 Kragar  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:33:15pm

Fischer is going all in on the Derp.

60 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:33:43pm

re: #59 Kragar

Fischer is going all in on the Derp.

Full. Metal. Wingnut.

61 freetoken  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:34:30pm

re: #55 Kid A

The 35mm frame size (24mm x 36mm) has proven, with the advancements in digital sensors, adequate for most imaging needs.

It is true, I assert, that it still doesn't come close in quality to the old sheet films (even 4x5), but that has been a specialty market ever since the early 60's when the 35mm SLR took over the photographic world, and the 6x6 format conquered fashion.

I for one lament the passing of the old ways of photography. It's not just the tools, but the discipline they demand that creates the image. To my eye, today the digital imaging world creates zillions of images that mostly all look alike. I credit this to the decline in the requirement of the photog to have to "see" with the mind, which the old world required, and which now with instant preview has been overtaken for the sake of convenience.

Convenience is often the enemy of good art, I propose.

62 The Ghost of a Flea  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:35:03pm

re: #59 Kragar

Fischer is going all in on the Derp.

If he keeps this up he might cause a brief lag in the level of ring-kissing and boot polishing he receives from Republicans.

63 dragonath  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:35:44pm

re: #61 freetoken

Oh yeah, totally.

Besides, I miss the cool things like the "photo post cards" that you could develop a picture on the back of. You can't buy that kind of tangibility for even 50 thousand.

64 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:35:47pm

re: #59 Kragar

[Link: www.snopes.com...]

65 Kragar  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:37:43pm

re: #64 Gus

[Link: www.snopes.com...]

Yeah, the only source Breitbart has for the Australia info is Infowars.

Great source for your stats, dickweeds

66 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:37:54pm

re: #61 freetoken

All excellent points. As a PJ, I HAVE to have this convenience, and it also allows me to stay longer for certain assignments. I love being able to write captions, make adjustments and transfer a few images in less than ten minutes. Format the cards, shoot some more, repeat.

67 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:39:12pm

re: #65 Kragar

Yeah, the only source Breitbart has for the Australia info is Infowars.

Great source for your stats, dickweeds

Oh my God you're right! LOL They're using Infowars as a source! LMFHO!!

68 Kragar  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:39:25pm

"any claims based on statistics (even accurate ones) which posit a cause-and-effect relationship between the gun buyback program and increased crime rates because "criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed" are automatically suspect, since the average Australian citizen didn't own firearms even before the buyback. But beyond that, most of the statistics offered here are misleading and present only "first year results" where long-term trends need to be considered in order to draw valid cause-and-effect conclusions."

69 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:39:25pm

Just found my Christmas gift to myself. Turns out Joey L. has a DVD for $99. Sold!

Should compliment my seminar with Joe McNally on Monday quite nicely.

71 Kronocide  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:41:23pm

re: #65 Kragar

Yeah, the only source Breitbart has for the Australia info is Infowars.

Great source for your stats, dickweeds

I'm seeing the same talking points on Facebook.

The First Rule of Gun Control Debate is There Is No Gun Control Debate.

The Second Rule of Gun Control Debate is There Is No Gun Control Debate.

72 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:41:57pm

Reports of Shots Fired at Fashion Island in Newport Beach; No One Believed Hit | abc7.com

Saw that. You see that Breitbart is now sourcing Infowars?

73 Charles Johnson  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:44:54pm

re: #72 Gus

Saw that. You see that Breitbart is now sourcing Infowars?

That isn't the first time. It's become totally standard for right wing sites to link to Alex Jones now.

Sometimes I can hardly believe how freaking whacked out the right wing blogs have gotten.

74 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:48:08pm

There's no debating these people. All one can do is to stare at them as an oddity. The conservative movement has become a complete farce led by tabloid journalism wannabes for Fox News.

75 jaunte  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:48:53pm
76 darthstar  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:50:02pm

What did Rudolf ever see in Olive anyway? She never let him play in any of her reindeer games.

77 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:50:33pm

So conservatives have also edged closer to Russia Today and even Pravda.

78 Kronocide  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:50:36pm
Roberts fired dozens of rounds into the crowd. Witnesses said he began shooting at shoppers near the food court until the rifle jammed. Police say Roberts died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, ending the 90 minutes of terror.

I think Oregon was a rifle jam between a few dead and dozens.

This is freaking insanity.

79 goddamnedfrank  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:52:09pm

re: #50 Kid A

There's a penalty paid by squeezing more pixels onto the same size sensor. As pixel size goes down the signal to noise ratio tanks. That's the real advantage of the Phase One. Notice that their largest chip is 6x4.5cm. If and when they come out with full 4"x5" sensors the results will be otherworldly. Right now the only full size 4x5 digital capture I'm aware of are the Betterlight scanning backs, and because of the way they slowly scan across the image plane they aren't very conducive to living, breathing subject matter.

80 jaunte  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:53:42pm

It's a long article, but this near the end sticks out:

It would also be negligent to omit what seemed plain to Australians, but could be less easy to measure in empirical terms. After the death and serious injury of 54 people at Port Arthur, facilitated by firearms then openly marketed by licensed gun dealers as “assault weapons”, a national upwelling of grief and revulsion saw pollsters reporting 90–95% public approval for stringent new gun laws. Resistance to gun control was roundly condemned in virtually all news media, and governments’ 12 days of resolve deprived the firearm lobby of crucial delay time. Announcing the law changes, Prime Minister John Howard invoked the majority will of Australians when he said “This represents an enormous shift in the culture of this country towards the possession, the use and the ownership of guns. It is an historic agreement. It means that this country, through its governments, has decided not to go down the American path ... Ours is not a gun culture, ours is a culture of peaceful cooperation.” Later opinion polling ranked Howard’s new gun laws as by far the most popular decision in the first year of his conservative government. In the opinion of the authors, the 1996 sea change in Australian attitudes—and perhaps also a significant component of the public health benefits of lower rates of firearm-related mass shootings, suicide and homicide reported here—is best described as a national change of attitude to gun owners and their firearms.
[Link: injuryprevention.bmj.com...]

81 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:58:03pm

It's a long article, but this near the end sticks out:

The USA is not ready for anything like that IMO. Americans, are not like the Australians. We're talking half this country for raging rednecks. And then you'd get the liberal gun nuts. I'd rather see us go the path of more stringent regulations, training requirements, and yearly medicals before that. Otherwise, I'd vote no on the Australian model.

82 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:58:54pm

Plus it would never get out of the House. If it even made it out of the Senate.

83 Kid A  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:58:55pm

re: #79 goddamnedfrank

Good god, 4x5 for digital. I don't even know where the ballpark price would be for a body. $80K?

84 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:59:44pm

It's a long article, but this near the end sticks out:

The British Medical Journal is an anti-gun publication. And what happened in Australia politically isn't going to happen here. The media call yell if it wants, but the Congress will simply ignore them, secure in the fact that in two years most voters won't show up for the off year election and of those that do pro-gun voters will outnumber anti-gun voters by a large margin.

85 darthstar  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 5:59:54pm

When cheeses are outlawed, only outlaws will enjoy good cheese.

Image: 18694_515151945184747_2106307598_n.jpg

86 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:00:53pm

re: #85 darthstar

When cheeses are outlawed, only outlaws will enjoy good cheese.

Image: 18694_515151945184747_2106307598_n.jpg

America is a country of the future.

87 PhillyPretzel  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:02:46pm

re: #85 darthstar

They have the cheese. [Link: www.dibruno.com...]

88 wrenchwench  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:03:06pm

re: #86 Gus

America is a country of the future.

Cheese is milk of the past.

89 jaunte  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:03:09pm

re: #84 Dark_Falcon

Are there any pro-gun medical journals?

90 Charles Johnson  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:03:13pm

I just read possibly the most ridiculous right wing reaction yet to the Newtown shootings, at Powerline. What the hell is wrong with these people? I may have to post about this one.

91 Capitalist Tool  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:03:47pm

re: #4 Four More Tears

There are quite a number of (obvious) Muslims who shoot at the indoor ranges here in OKC. Usually, there will be several young men sharing a lane, taking turns shooting.

92 darthstar  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:04:12pm

re: #84 Dark_Falcon

I'm guessing you don't have mirrors in your house.

93 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:05:04pm

re: #92 darthstar

I'm guessing you don't have mirrors in your house.

I do. Why the heck do you ask?

94 Capitalist Tool  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:05:43pm

I was going to hold off commenting about this video until finishing it (not yet), but no one is talking about it anyway.

To quote Ahnold- Ah'll be bahck

95 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:06:24pm

re: #94 Capitalist Tool

To quote Ahnold- Ah'll be bahck

We are all skeletons.

96 jaunte  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:07:17pm

re: #95 Gus

I knew that new diet was just a lot of Maya.

97 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:07:29pm

You mean the goofy idea to ban all news coverage of mass shootings? That was stupid, but not truly hateful.

98 dragonath  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:08:12pm

A particularly dopey piece of "Canadian" wingnuttery.

Confronting our spiritual bankruptcy

The Godliness and spirituality of our nation has been incrementally yet aggressively assaulted. Human life itself has been redefined under the insidious contention of women’s rights, yet how many who decry the life lost in Newtown will weep for the thousands of innocents murdered through deliberate blood sacrifice legalized by the laws of man?

Yeah, conservative thought is really going places, oh man.

99 darthstar  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:08:29pm

re: #93 Dark_Falcon

I do. Why the heck do you ask?

Because I sure as hell couldn't look at myself and try to be defensive about the gun industry right now...and no, I'm not an "anti-gun" person...and yes, I understand that it was a person, not the weapon he used, who committed this atrocity. But the fact that such weapons are so commonplace defies logic.

100 jaunte  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:10:38pm

re: #98 dragonath

"Our nation once proudly served as the moral and spiritual foundation for not only our citizens, but for the world. We were once a nation that accepted the true God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and built its walls on the cornerstone of just men acting in compliance with the moral and spiritual guidance of a just God. Adherence to our spiritual principles and obedience to the laws of God, not man, were necessary to keep evil in chains."

Not to mention our human farm equipment.

101 Capitalist Tool  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:11:07pm

re: #61 freetoken

I have owned/used 35mm cameras since '71/'72 and of the thousands of shots, am satisfied with a very small handful.

102 wrenchwench  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:11:26pm

by popular demand

[Link: i.chzbgr.com...]

Later, lizards.

103 Gus  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:12:45pm

I knew that new diet was just a lot of Maya.

Thought the cameraman was pretty cool.

104 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:15:28pm

re: #102 wrenchwench

by popular demand

[Link: i.chzbgr.com...]

Later, lizards.

The fluffy Care Bear knock-off is saved from Basement Cat by its cuteness.

105 Renaissance_Man  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:23:23pm

re: #84 Dark_Falcon

The British Medical Journal is an anti-gun publication.

Not sure what your point in making this statement is.

Well, actually I am, but it goes without saying that your 'point' is ridiculous.

It's certainly true enough that America could never make the same decision. There is far too much political cowardice and the cult of the gun is far too ingrained. Even those who don't directly worship guns, like yourself, believe that they have to pay lip service due to some other ridiculous belief, like 'loving the Constitution' or 'being a good conservative' or some other such tripe.

106 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:26:26pm
HUCKABEE: Well you know, it’s an interesting thing. We ask why there’s violence in our schools, but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools have become a place of carnage? Because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability. That we’re not just gonna be accountable to the police of they catch us, but one day we stand before a holy God in judgment. If we don’t believe that, then we don’t fear that. And I sometimes, when people say, why did God let it happen, God wasn’t armed, he didn’t go to the school… maybe we ought to let him in on the front end and we wouldn’t have to call him to show up when it’s all said and done at the back end.

God wasn't armed? Well shit, just have the NRA give him some firearms then, problem solved. No school shooter stands a chance once God is packing heat!!!

///

Hey maybe we can convince some of the crazier wingnuts that they need to sacrifice their weapons to God so that he can use them?

107 Petero1818  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:26:52pm

re: #98 dragonath

A particularly dopey piece of "Canadian" wingnuttery.

Confronting our spiritual bankruptcy

Yeah, conservative thought is really going places, oh man.

Not Canadian. The site is called Canada Free Press, but the author is American and runs a something called the NorthEast Intelligence network which I believe to be a misnomer. But clearly american.

108 BongCrodny  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:29:44pm

re: #97 Dark_Falcon

And cowardly.

109 Stanghazi  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:37:57pm

re: #76 darthstar

She's the only chick who looked twice. He had hope.

110 Capitalist Tool  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 6:38:02pm

Well, that was a nice film. Many religions and sects and groups and denominations and individuals in the world trying to find out what it's all about.

On one point, we have disagreement; it is not an illusion, it is real. There is however, one illusion: size is the only illusion.

Glimpse a galaxy in a wrist or universes hanging like cherries in a row and ristras of rows... an immediacy of distance and time and space, but few have been there, from here.

111 ProMayaLiberal  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 7:11:59pm

re: #91 Capitalist Tool

A number of my Muslims Friends have FB pics from doing that.

Those friends are women. I like strong willed women. One that can over-power me in intensity.

112 ProMayaLiberal  Sat, Dec 15, 2012 7:17:38pm

Derp, derp, derp.

Too many tabs

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
For about 33 cents a day (per month) or 22 cents a day (per year), our subscription option turns off all advertisements at LGF!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2014-03-07 2:19 pm PST

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
FemNaziBitch
Hobby Lobby Leaders Hope to Spread Bible Course to Thousands of Schools
The president of a company that is currently challenging Obamacare laws before the Supreme Court is also trying to bring a class about the Bible to thousands of schools. Earlier this week, Mustang Public Schools in Oklahoma voted to adopt a Bible course developed under the leadership of Hobby Lobby president Steve Green, according to The Washington Post. Those involved with the course ...

3 minutes ago
Views: 18 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Randall Gross
Putin Decrements Our Peace Dividend: U.S. Ground Troops Being Deployed To Poland
If you were looking to the wind down of the Afghan war as creating a potential peace dividend, that's now unlikely due to Putin's nationalistic moves on the Ukraine. Poland and the United States will announce next week the deployment of U.S. ground forces to Poland as part of an expansion of NATO presence in Central and Eastern Europe in response to events in ...

Views: 88 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
palmerskiss
Denmark Shows the World How to Stop Mass Medicating Animals
COPENHAGAN, Denmark -- Michael Nielsen unlocks the door to his pig factory. He doffs his jacket, pants and muddy boots and zips on white coveralls. Then he steps into the maze-like complex housing several thousand pigs. From the birthing room -- where one enormous sow has just delivered 22 squirming piglets -- to the insemination stalls where the next generation is in the ...

Views: 94 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
MichaelJ
Live now - 2014 Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach - ASP World Tour
More: 2014 Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach - ASP Iconic Bells Beach in Victoria, Australia once again hosts the world's best surfers for the 41st running of the Bells Beach Contest. New feature in this broadcast: drone cam!

Views: 128 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 3 • Rating: 0
cycroft
Russ Campbell’s Blog: Fiscal Conservatism Seems Alive and Well in Ottawa: 8,900 Public Service Jobs to Be Cut
When Con­ser­v­a­tives un­der Stephen Harper took of­fice in 2006, I was dis­ap­pointed at how much they re­sem­bled their pre­de­ces­sors when it came to their pen­chant for in­creas­ing the size of gov­ern­ment. More: Russ Campbell's Blog: Fiscal Conservatism Seems Alive and Well in Ottawa: 8,900 Public Service Jobs to Be Cut

Views: 103 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Skip Intro
Why the Temperature of the Yellow Sea Is a Big Deal, and Other Questions About the South Korean Ferry Disaster
The boat ran into trouble several dozen miles from Jindo, an island that sticks out of South Korea's southwestern corner like a little toe. Jindo is surrounded by a group of even smaller islands that are slightly farther afield from the mainland. The ferry was curving around those small islands at the time it issued a distress call. What caused the disaster? We ...

Views: 282 • Comments: 3
Tweets: 24 • Rating: 1
Idle Drifter
Calgary stabbings: How knife crime in Canada can cause ‘moral panic’
What Calgary police chief Rick Hanson called the "worst mass murder" in the city's history didn't end at the barrel of a gun. Instead, the 22-year-old suspect identified on Tuesday as Matthew de Grood is accused of entering the kitchen at a house party, taking "a large knife" and using it to fatally stab four men and one woman, all of whom were students ...

Views: 210 • Comments: 4
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
aagcobb
Ben Mathis-Lilley, Slate: New York Electoral College: State Joins National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Instead of pushing for a Constitutional amendment, which would have to be ratified in 38 states, advocates ask individual state legislatures to pass an agreement: that they'll pledge all their presidential electors to the winner of the national popular vote as soon as enough other states pass the law to ...

Views: 219 • Comments: 7
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
Political Atheist
The Insane History of Rockets at Jet Propulsion Laboratories
The Rocket Boys In the late 1930s, a group of Caltech graduate students were booted off campus after blowing up (part of!) their building during a rocket test gone awry. Unwilling to give up on the joy of semi-controlled explosions, the students and a few of their friends headed into the San Gabriel Mountains. They picked a deserted gully -- Arroyo Seco -- ...

Views: 254 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
iossarian
Drug Companies Want Your Money
Two thematically-related stories on the BBC at the moment: UK drug company Glaxo 'paid bribes to Polish doctors' UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama has discovered. Tamiflu: Millions wasted on flu drug, claims major report Hundreds of millions of pounds may have been wasted on a drug for flu that works no better ...

Views: 261 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 8 • Rating: 0
 Frank says:

Americans like to talk about (or be told about) Democracy but, when put to the test, usually find it to be an 'inconvenience.' We have opted instead for an authoritarian system disguised as a Democracy. We pay through the nose for an enormous joke-of-a-government, let it push us around, and then wonder how all those assholes got in there.